Pot ID, no markings

Reaction score
Hi there, got this pot from my grandparent's home. No markings at the back though. Any thoughts?

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-10 at 9.58.51 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-10 at 9.58.49 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-01-10 at 9.58.50 PM.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The crescent drain holes should lead you to the answer.
Never seen that before.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Drain holes suggest old Chinese. Clay color suggests Yixing Zisha. It looks like a nice quality pot. Does it sit flat on all 4 feet? If so, that’s good.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi there, yes, it sits perfectly flat.. I also find the crescent shaped holes strange :((
Nice pot, the drain holes’ shape is a unique and interesting feature. It also makes it easier to secure tie down wires into the points of the crescents.
What are the outside dimensions?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Origin is Chinese Yixing most likely given the clay and feet. The crescent drain holes are not uncommon on higher end Yixing pots (as well as many older Japanese pots). They're a nice detail. Drain hole cutouts come in many different shapes and sizes.

The holes here don't look like they're actually "cut" into the pot's bottom piece by a pot maker/artisan. The entire pot is probably slip molded, not a bad thing, but not the "one off" antique those details imply.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a potter I find the drain holes here altogether intriguing. As a bonsai person I am equally intrigued but for different reasons.
It does appear to be slip cast.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a potter I find the drain holes here altogether intriguing. As a bonsai person I am equally intrigued but for different reasons.
It does appear to be slip cast.
You have a copy of Naka's "Bonsai Techniques II?" have a look at the pots section in that book. He outlines a huge variety of details--and includes dozens of pictures--of pot rims, feet, drain holes etc. Also take a run through Matt Ouwinga's ebay sales site just to look at the pictures. A LOT of interesting drain holes, shapes, etc.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a copy of Naka's "Bonsai Techniques II?" have a look at the pots section in that book. He outlines a huge variety of details--and includes dozens of pictures--of pot rims, feet, drain holes etc. Also take a run through Matt Ouwinga's ebay sales site just to look at the pictures. A LOT of interesting drain holes, shapes, etc.
I am intrigued but I don't have $240 to spend on a used book. I have looked on eBay quite a bit but do not find non traditional drainage holes.
The crescents make sense from a few standpoints.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am intrigued but I don't have $240 to spend on a used book. I have looked on eBay quite a bit but do not find non traditional drainage holes.
Thought you had a copy of Naka's.

Anyway, Drain holes come in a variety of shapes from "crescent" (mikazuki-gata) and "full" moon holes (oversized round holes--mangetsu-gata)--, clover-shapes, rectangles etc. If you look through a lot of Japanese pots, you will find these aren't all that rare. Heck, Don Gould used a keystone shaped primary drain hole in his pots--he got the idea from these...

Julio-Rufo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Off topic here:
I didn’t know there’s no modern English edition. Just in case you are interested, the book is widely available at a good price in Spanish (edition from 2006) and German editions. From my point of view, the most interesting thing about this book are the drawings, diagrams and photos, text is interesting but I usually just focus at graphic content. Pretty much self explanatory.

Top Bottom