Pot leaf JM id. Maybe

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Local guy was selling these at a good deal. He started them from seed he got from a friends yard. They look to be about 3 to 4 years old. They are Japanese maple but I have no idea of which one. Any help? These are my first JM and haven't a clue.20220529_181905.jpg20220529_181839.jpg20220529_181821.jpg20220529_181806.jpg20220529_181738.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If they are from seed from his friends yard it is hard to say. Seedlings are genetically different from the parent trees so technically you can’t label it what the parent cultivar is but they can show similar traits as the parent trees. I would just calm them green leaf JM or if you knew the parent type you could call it “xxxxxxxx” seedling. Example, I have a mikawa seedling and a arakawa seedling. The mikawa seedling shows the classic mikawa mounding habit and growth. I’m hoping the arakawa seedling will eventually show the cork bark characteristic once it gets bigger.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If they are from seed from his friends yard it is hard to say. Seedlings are genetically different from the parent trees so technically you can’t label it what the parent cultivar is but they can show similar traits as the parent trees. I would just calm them green leaf JM or if you knew the parent type you could call it “xxxxxxxx” seedling. Example, I have a mikawa seedling and a arakawa seedling. The mikawa seedling shows the classic mikawa mounding habit and growth. I’m hoping the arakawa seedling will eventually show the cork bark characteristic once it gets bigger.
Part shade be good for these guys?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Morning sun and afternoon shade is best but really and partial shade will work. Some can take more sun than others and some can take full sun. Good looking trees though, they look very healthy.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Isnt a seedling considered acer palmatum "atropurpureum", as it is not genetically identical to any cultivar?

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Morning sun and afternoon shade is best but really and partial shade will work. Some can take more sun than others and some can take full sun. Good looking trees though, they look very healthy.
Wound up getting 8 of them. He was needing the room. Got these a southern sunset azalea and 2 oak leaf hydrangeas for 80. He was happy and so was i.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any Acer palmatum grown from seed is just an Acer palmatum.

Top Bottom