Pot mesh

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm in need of some pot mesh (drainage) and have been reading up on some old topics. I see people swear by all kinds of different stuff: dry wall tape, mosquito mesh, needle point sheets, you name it.

But for some reason the thing that I haven't been able to find is: what size should the holes actually be?

Oh and while we're on the topic anyway, has there been any 'conclusion' on whether the glue in dry wall tape is harmful to the roots or not?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in need of some pot mesh (drainage) and have been reading up on some old topics. I see people swear by all kinds of different stuff: dry wall tape, mosquito mesh, needle point sheets, you name it.

But for some reason the thing that I haven't been able to find is: what size should the holes actually be?

Oh and while we're on the topic anyway, has there been any 'conclusion' on whether the glue in dry wall tape is harmful to the roots or not?
Just buy drainage mesh. It is cheap enough on eBay, Amazon etc. You can buy pre formed round mesh disc really cheap from China via eBay and have them in 2 weeks.
Size of the holes is resolved by getting the right material. Drywall mesh tape works well but is very flimsy. Not at all toxic for plants.

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use cement board tape mainly because I get big rolls for free. If buying mesh, just buy larger sheets so you can cut them to the size you need.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use drywall tape..NEVER any adverse effects. I like it because it's thinner than standard, plastic drainage mesh.. Even double or tripled up for "stiffer" applications.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Go to Michael's or Jo-Anne's and head to the embroidery section. You can buy large sheets and cut to size as needed.

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hobby Lobby has alot of choices.. That's the only place I can find the #5. Probably about. $2.25 for a 15 x 15 sheet. I cut into 2" squares

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hobby Lobby has alot of choices.. That's the only place I can find the #5. Probably about. $2.25 for a 15 x 15 sheet. I cut into 2" squares
I miss their discount coupon! :(

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
^^ If you go to their website for your store, you can pull up the coupons and they will scan from your phone at the register.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
^^ If you go to their website for your store, you can pull up the coupons and they will scan from your phone at the register.
I hate this stuff. If you don't use a smartphone your are treated second class. I hope I die before they make smart phones mandatory.
I realize that they are a valuable tool for many people but what I have seen is that people are becoming very good at searching and not so good a thinking.
Please forgive my rant, it is not directed toward anyone here. If you don't understand my view, leave your phone home for a day and just watch everyone using one.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you don't understand my view, leave your phone home for a day and just watch everyone using one.
I have one but am not glued to FB (don't even belong). I use it to talk text and take pictures mostly. What cracks me up is watching other couples out to dinner at a restaurant and they are both glued to their phones the entire time and don't even speak to each other.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate this stuff. If you don't use a smartphone your are treated second class. I hope I die before they make smart phones mandatory.
I realize that they are a valuable tool for many people but what I have seen is that people are becoming very good at searching and not so good a thinking.
Please forgive my rant, it is not directed toward anyone here. If you don't understand my view, leave your phone home for a day and just watch everyone using one.
I’m with ya on that. I rocked a flip phone for as long as I could. Texting was a 7, 2, 444, 66….444, 66….8, 44, 33….2, 7777, 7777 🤣

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm glad to have found this thread. I was recently looking to buy a stock of some drainage mesh, but it seems expensive for what it is, and I figured there had to be an alternative that wasn't marketed for bonsai. When I was at the store, I determined that drywall tape looked suitable and was much cheaper compared to bonsai mesh. I'm surprised that I don't read about more people using alternative materials, but it sounds like there are plenty of people around here doing so. Nice to hear that my choice of material should serve me just fine.

Top Bottom