Pot method air layer

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
So I am trying an air layer with a pot method hanging on the branch of a ginko that has been planted in my yard for a year. The tree is 5 feet tall with a split trunk, or well the split is down low and the leader is maybe a foot higher. Both a leafed out healthy and strong. A month ago right after it leafed out I cut and scrapped a spot on the trunk (which is about an inch in diameter) about two inches long and hung my pot with bonsai soil and some moss on top to help keep it wet. I moisten it daily. How long till I should peak and check for roots? I don’t want to disturb the process and goof it all up.
I have looked around in the web etc and find info mostly for other trees and usually it’s the plastic moss method. I’m located in Southern California btw...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ginkgo root a bit slower than some others.
You may see white tips at the drain holes of the pot which should indicate good root growth. Otherwise I would leave it for at least 2 months before gently scraping down to the top of the cut to check on progress. Careful is the word because new roots are extremely brittle and break off very easy.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Ginkgo root a bit slower than some others.
You may see white tips at the drain holes of the pot which should indicate good root growth. Otherwise I would leave it for at least 2 months before gently scraping down to the top of the cut to check on progress. Careful is the word because new roots are extremely brittle and break off very easy.
Thanks!

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my project...I know a post without a pic is worthless...thx again. EE2FFA77-FC2D-4EF9-A96A-E7BC5FC87D91.jpeg

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How did this go? There is a nursery intown that has a mature Ginkgo. I hope to talk to the owner to see if he can let me do an air layer. How did this go for you?

Top Bottom