Pot newly bought trees or wait

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just bought two new trees, one a trident and the other a crape myrtle. The trident is in a shallow nursery container with most of the roots covered in dirt. The crape is wrapped in plastic and has no pot but roots are covered in dirt.

Neither are trying to push buds yet. Should I leave them as they are until they do or go ahead and repot both of them?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least pot them.

You can repot anything you like if you don't root prune.
So would I be safe then to wash the old dirt out and repot in my soil if I don't cut back any roots? Just want to make sure I'm clear.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
just bought two new trees, one a trident and the other a crape myrtle. The trident is in a shallow nursery container with most of the roots covered in dirt. The crape is wrapped in plastic and has no pot but roots are covered in dirt.

Neither are trying to push buds yet. Should I leave them as they are until they do or go ahead and repot both of them?
You may need to offer that crape some additional care... @JudyB didn't you also offer propagation mat heat for yours?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure if this information helps but I have them in my garage that is heated. I have it set to 50 degrees f.
Why would you have it set to 50 degrees if they are dormant? You would try to keep them dormant as long as possible. Where did the tree come from? (State) So shooting for under 40 would be ideal.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Why would you have it set to 50 degrees if they are dormant? You would try to keep them dormant as long as possible. Where did the tree come from? (State) So shooting for under 40 would be ideal.

Wouldn't under 40f be dangerous if he trimmed the roots?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wouldn't under 40f be dangerous if he trimmed the roots?
The thing isn't even pushing buds...I wouldn't repot. Yes...you don't want your roots to freeze after repotting. But...I was always told at bud break. Which is why I'm questioning to do it before. Your stealing the energy needed to allow it to push buds are you not? (Though mind you...3 1\2 years in so...I'm just questioning if ones read his original post right.)

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
The thing isn't even pushing buds...I wouldn't repot. Yes...you don't want your roots to freeze after repotting. But...I was always told at bud break. Which is why I'm questioning to do it before. Your stealing the energy needed to allow it to push buds are you not? (Though mind you...3 1\2 years in so...I'm just questioning if ones read his original post right.)

Gotcha, just wanted clarification:) I repotted my new Trident the day after I received it because it was pushing leaf tips out when it first came in but I've been keeping it indoors at night to protect the roots and having my wife put it outside in the sun once temps hit 45f and rising.....

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It set at 50 because I have had to repot a few trees already pushing buds. I didn't want to put them back in my shed because we are having a few night near or below freezing until tomorrow night.

I just got both trees today and they where shipped from Florida. I've brought them in my garage then made this post to see if I should put them in a pot or not and if it's ok to wash of the old dirt that looks like nursery dirt and put them in bonsai soil.

I haven't touched them yet and right now I'm getting confused what I should do.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First two images are the crape and the last one is the trident IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1679.JPG

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven't touched them yet and right now I'm getting confused what I should do.

Repot them both but myself I would just shake off loose soil this round. Dampen them and put them on the coldest part of the garage floor. Honest they should have waited a few weeks before shipping them up North but should be ok.

Instinct tells me the coolest floor spot should be at 40F or close when the Thermostat reds 50F

Grimmy

Last edited:

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repot them both but myself I would just shake off loose soil this round. Dampen them and put them on the coldest part of the garage floor. Honest they should have waited a few weeks before shipping them up North but should be ok.

Grimmy
I'm sorry but I've only been doing this for a year so I'm just making sure I follow.

Should I shake off the loose dirt and when pot them fill the rest of the pot with bonsai soil? If I do that should I repot them when they start pushing buds and get rid of all the old dirt? Or leave them alone the rest of the year?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
leave them alone the rest of the year?

Yes and the reason I am saying that is they are still Southern plants although now located in Ohio. Shipping them at this time of year will make acclimation slower for you. I would handle them a little more gently until they actually Winter with you next Winter. The following Spring 2018 you should be able to handle things more normally.

Grimmy

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes and the reason I am saying that is they are still Southern plants although now located in Ohio. Shipping them at this time of year will make acclimation slower for you. I would handle them a little more gently until they actually Winter with you next Winter. The following Spring 2018 you should be able to handle things more normally.

Grimmy
Ok thanks for the help and insight very appreciated. Up to this point all my trees are ones I've collected or nursery stock. These are my first trees I've bought that would be considered bonsai. Just don't want to kill them before they even have a chance to bud out.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I've repotted and root pruned before buds were moving... the sun came up the next day...in the east, too. Seriously, sometimes you have to do things when time allows you to. From my perspective, a repot is a specific time to potentially make drastic improvements in the tree's health and development, and it only happens once year at best, so you don't want to cut corners. If a tree needs the roots worked, work them. If these were mine, I'd slip pot the myrtle into a nursery can with wood chips, then keep them somewhere coolish and let them break dormancy naturally. Once they start to push, repot them and do it right. There are LOADS of threads with pictures on how to do it.

PS Depending on where you are, that myrtle will always be borderline hardy in OH.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just don't want to kill them before they even have a chance to bud out.

I understand. Also I need to add it has taken me several years to learn how to properly adjust plants to large zone changes. Many were lost along the way experimenting but I proceed with confidence now. "General Rules" do not work for these situations.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fwiw, I've repotted and root pruned before buds were moving... the sun came up the next day...in the east, too. Seriously, sometimes you have to do things when time allows you to. From my perspective, a repot is a specific time to potentially make drastic improvements in the tree's health and development, and it only happens once year at best, so you don't want to cut corners. If a tree needs the roots worked, work them. If these were mine, I'd slip pot the myrtle into a nursery can with wood chips, then keep them somewhere coolish and let them break dormancy naturally. Once they start to push, repot them and do it right. There are LOADS of threads with pictures on how to do it.

PS Depending on where you are, that myrtle will always be borderline hardy in OH.
Just never heard of potting before bud break. But you apparently have done so with success. ;) I think these not acclimated yet to Ohio...that crape concerns me. But Judy did crape. So he could get some pointers.

Top Bottom