Pot or Training Box

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Should a newly collected Pine be put in a training box or a pot? I have four permits this year and hope to dig four trees and just wanted to know what type of container they should go in. Dave in Colorado,;)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think about putting the tree in the smallest container that can adequately host the rootball. Good drainage is also a must.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I understand the rootball can sometimes be oddly shaped. You might want to have lumber and tools ready, and build a grow box once you've seen the root mass. I did that last year. The tree soaked for a few hours while I built the box; didn't seem to mind the soaking at all.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, I would place the tree in a nursery pot or grow box for the first few years. The trees health is the most prevalent issue after first collecting and there fore its not good to rush into potting the tree for appearance. After the tree has gained a nice root ball and the majority of any root work needed to be done has been seen to then you can start thinking about looking for a more permanent pot that you think would best complement your trees shape and appearance.

Top Bottom