Pot repair

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a potter in the States that profesionally repairs bonsai pots?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I will reach out to them and see what they can do.

The pot is a Reiho that I purchased for a large trident that I have.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 79

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
At least it should go back together nicely. It was broken in shipment and the seller replaced it with another similar pot at no cost but I still prefer this one.

Attachments

• Reiho.JPG
    Reiho.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 82

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I've never used them but have heard good things about this company. If the pot is expensive, I'd contact them
http://www.lakesidepottery.com/Pages/pottery-and-ceramic-fix-restoration-repair.html

So Lakeside said that they could repair it but that it could not be used as a pot with a tree/soil in it and that it would be just for decoration. Does anyone else know of anybody that repairs pots by chance?

Thanks,
Jeff

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That appears to be a simple break. Unless that are a number of tiny fragments, I see no reason that you couldn't repair that yourself with Superglue and CAREFUL fitting together.

I've done that twice, and am still using the pots outside year 'round.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Be careful using gorilla glue, because it expands and pushes the pieces apart, seeping as it sets. I've had better luck using epoxy; light coat on the surface of the crack itself to put it back together, and heavier, 2nd coat along the crack on the indoor of the pot after the first coat sets up. I've repaired 2 pots with epoxy, and both have lasted for years outside after.

Last edited:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would do it myself but my pots are like 5 dollar a piece, and i would just use the other side as the front :)

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd note that depending on how much you want to spend there are options for ceramics repair that are done by professionals specifically trained to deal with repairs for museums and high end private collectors. There's one here in SF who does repairs where you almost cant tell the pot was ever broken, he's a true artist. But, even small repairs are $200-$300 so unless the pot is worth much more than that it may not be worth the money.

My two cents on superglue or epoxy is that while it may do the job it will likely ultimately detract visually from the quality. Consider a repair that will add character rather than being something that compromises it. Many old repairs done in Japan are themselves beautiful. See Peter Tea's blog posts on pots for a couple examples.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As Brian said, be careful with the use of Gorilla Glue. It can work but you have to use a VERY small amount so that the expanding doesn't separate the pot.

sharkman154

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my 4 years of working with pottery i have found repairs to be very much hit and miss. For me I would toss it because I can make another. However i'd saw find yourself a good NON-EXPANDING CERAMIC SPECIFIC glue. Worst thing that happens is you have to repot the tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that with the pot coloring, a gold repair would look really nice. Good luck finding a suitable repair. Have you tried to contact Ryan Bell to see if he has any ideas for where to send?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I ended up reaching out to LakeSide as well since I have two nice pots that broke during shipment. They confirmed that they will not repair bonsai pots for functional use and that Kintsugi repairs fail often and it is common for them to have to repair them.

Shoot...

I feel bad throwing them away.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think that with the pot coloring, a gold repair would look really nice. Good luck finding a suitable repair. Have you tried to contact Ryan Bell to see if he has any ideas for where to send?
I vaguely remember him giving Lakeside a recommendation in a thread on face book...that's where I heard of them

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score

I agree. The gold with the blue glaze woud look great. Will reach out to Ryan Bell to see what he says.

Top Bottom