pot size

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need some help with figuring out what pot size I need for my plant. How do you figure, what is the formula for determining pot size to a specific plant.
Thanks Max

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There's all sorts of "rules." Depth of pot equals thickness of base, width is 2/3 spread of tree, etc. etc. etc.

MY rules are: If it looks good, DO IT!

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, there are a number of variables - including the stage of development, whether 'in training' (a deeper pot) or more 'finished or refined' (shallower). :confused:

Can you tell us something about your tree(s)?

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, generally speaking the pot should be as deep as the base diameter of the trunk and as wide as around 2/3 the canopy spread. Some trees like deeper pots like quince and wisteria while others dont have any depth preference and in fact look best in a shallow pot (Maples,Elms, etc...).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
...And this is all based on the presumption that your tree is ready for a "final" pot. If your tree is still in development, you'll need a bigger, deeper pot then what might "fit the rules" to ensure healthy growth for future styling and refinement.

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pot

I just bought it this month I need to build a training box for it, I'll start working on it next spring.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 49

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Nice little pine!

If it's as big as you want, you can start styling pretty soon; if you want to grow it out for a few years, it needs a chance to run.

Either way, you want to let if grow rather vigorously for a while. Either a training box/pot or growing box, as has been said, is what you want next spring.

Top Bottom