Pot suggestions for interesting white satsuki clump

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This guy is due for a repot this season and I am also looking to get it into a better looking pot. I do kinda like a lotus shape, but unsure as of color yet. Thinking either something off-whitish/light in color like its current pot or a glazed/unglazed brown to contrast bark and flowers. Thoughts?

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This guy is due for a repot this season and I am also looking to get it into a better looking pot. I do kinda like a lotus shape, but unsure as of color yet. Thinking either something off-whitish/light in color like its current pot or a glazed/unglazed brown to contrast bark and flowers. Thoughts?
No photo. 🤷
Oops! E3E39C82-1307-471B-AAB9-8DB394CEBED2.jpeg1DEC69B7-B192-47AB-8494-7CD3799AE429.jpeg01F3DCBA-019D-4B28-8F4C-F92AC9A8A7CC.jpeg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you like the lotus shape, I would suggest a Sharaku in red or orange. This plant has outstanding character and a more characterful pot will not compete with the plant but accentuate it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think it could work, but the problem I see is that the root ball would likely need to be mounded up in the new (Hokido) pot. Usually, mounded roots look better in a more primitive pot. The Hokido is much more formal. I’d say you could use it it you could plant it flat, and maybe reduce the right trunk so it doesn’t dip below the rim of the pot. Beautiful tree, nice pot, but I don’t think it’s the best match.

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I think it could work, but the problem I see is that the root ball would likely need to be mounded up in the new (Hokido) pot. Usually, mounded roots look better in a more primitive pot. The Hokido is much more formal. I’d say you could use it it you could plant it flat, and maybe reduce the right trunk so it doesn’t dip below the rim of the pot. Beautiful tree, nice pot, but I don’t think it’s the best match.
Hmmmm good look! Yes you are right. I would likely have to mound it. I can probably flatten it out a little but it would still look pretty clumped up. If something less formal is needed , I was possible entertaining this. DBF027DF-3B59-4854-A66F-6C1EBF45AEF8.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hmmmm good look! Yes you are right. I would likely have to mound it. I can probably flatten it out a little but it would still look pretty clumped up. If something less formal is needed , I was possible entertaining this. View attachment 283147
Closer, but the nanban style pictured is more for literati conifers. Check out the two glazed pots Adair and shinmai posted. Both are more appropriate for your tree. Kinda funny, but I actually own both of the pots you are considering and have found them both rather difficult to use; as much as I like them.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I did a quick run through Matt‘s eBay store and found these options I’d consider if I was pot-shopping for your tree; some unglazed options if you’re leaning that direction (totally appropriate with azaleas), and a couple glazed options which are visually an little softer.
41E7CC14-B9C4-43A8-89CD-CF24B036A5E5.png4C1FBF35-A937-42FB-96BD-5B6466664AB7.png94894C17-9BC2-42CB-9E8B-03F9CE58DDE4.png4C5DF8FC-7A23-4294-82F9-9598CF5F61D0.png813207A4-9C46-4330-8DD8-E5B7D26B030E.png
A sharaku was mentioned earlier. Nice pots, but I don’t think I’d go with this one; just an example to memorialize the thread.
5E26E80F-E8B1-4908-BE27-6ED92753F765.png

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
i quite like the current pot actually, the pot adair posted looks too heavy for the trunks.
in any case i would style it first before id repot it.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I did a quick run through Matt‘s eBay store and found these options I’d consider if I was pot-shopping for your tree; some unglazed options if you’re leaning that direction (totally appropriate with azaleas), and a couple glazed options which are visually an little softer.
View attachment 283162View attachment 283163View attachment 283164View attachment 283166View attachment 283167
A sharaku was mentioned earlier. Nice pots, but I don’t think I’d go with this one; just an example to memorialize the thread.
View attachment 283165
i like the second one for this tree but the other pots are good too

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you had this tree for a long time?
I can understand why you would want a more flat pot for this tree and style, but I've noticed they do better in slightly deeper pots then other species...
What variety, flower color does it have?

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks for all the comments and help. You guys are great. I got the tree in spring of 2019. The main reason for repotting is because the akadama has become compacted and need to get some new soil in their to help drainage.
It blooms white by the way.

I had to scrape a lot of the compacted top soil off to get better water flow. Probably why it looks weird in that pot.

As per the pot now, the suggestions have been great and I like a lot of them. Choices... I do like a glazed, deeper pot as I know azaleas like some pot depth, definitely a roundish shape, not square or rectangular. Going to take at look a some less formal pots. Maybe check out Erin.

as per styling first before repotting, I would normally do that first but like I said , I need to get the soil changed out asap.
, so figuredI’d get that done sooner rather than later.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
in case you didn’t know, azalea roots are shallow, small, and extremely fibrous. They don’t need frequent repotting, and what you did by scraping the old soil off is called ”soji“; removing down to where the soil allows water to percolate. Then, you can aerate it with a chopstick, and refill the pot with fresh soil. It’s good to do this in the non-repotting years, or in summer if the surface becomes hydrophobic. Looks like you just skipped the refill with fresh soil step, which is important given azaleas’ shallow, small, fibrous root system.

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
View attachment 283162View attachment 283163View attachment 283164View attachment 283166View attachment 283167
View attachment 283165
Haha I actually I have a couple of those in my cart!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree reminds me a bit of the Hagedorn hemlock that he blogged about recently. Maybe a treatment like that would be beautiful for this unusual and beautiful tree.

Top Bottom