Pot "T" a mame cascade type with striking blue drip over cream with red clay body

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ms "T" 22May_Pot T copy.jpgIMG_5529_edited.jpgIMG_5530.JPG22May_Pot T copy.jpgIMG_5529_edited.jpgIMG_5530.JPGHere she is a little one for a accompaniment or a small cascade in mame form. It was the last 'nob' of clay from this batch so I did not want to toss it. Auction ends Midnight 27July PST Auction starts at $20.00 which includes shipping.

Kizerk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll start at 20 for this beautiful little pot.

Another stunning peice

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Aww thank you!! I planted in it for a while this past month and had a weed that I loved....it roasted so here's the pot....LOL.

Kizerk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This size pot is my weakness for sure... I have an apple tree that is looking for some new shoes come next season that I think will be a great fit here

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the glaze for sure. QQ: I noticed all your pots have the lip well inside the inner walls. Is there a reason for that.... I thought that would be bad at repotting time since it would be harder to get the tree out.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I noticed all your pots have the lip well inside the inner walls. Is there a reason for that.... I thought that would be bad at repotting time since it would be harder to get the tree out.
Thank you namnhi for asking! It is design element of the traditional style of many Asian antique and contemporary pots. However, yes you're right it makes it somewhat difficult but having the correct tools such as a slim repotting 'knife' is something most advanced bonsai aficionados simply take for granted. The wall thickness of a fine bonsai container should reduce as it approaches the bottom, at that point a 'bead' is formed and feathered in by hand at the junction of wall/floor creating a fillet and a degree of strength. (How do I know this? I've broken some very very fine old Japanese pots...by mistake)
On the esthetic side, the appearance of a thicker wall is the answer. It gives the overall form some balance to the surface area of the walls. Simple design....ages old. Makes a fine pot nice and lightweight....

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you namnhi for asking! It is design element of the traditional style of many Asian antique and contemporary pots. However, yes you're right it makes it somewhat difficult but having the correct tools such as a slim repotting 'knife' is something most advanced bonsai aficionados simply take for granted. The wall thickness of a fine bonsai container should reduce as it approaches the bottom, at that point a 'bead' is formed and feathered in by hand at the junction of wall/floor creating a fillet and a degree of strength. (How do I know this? I've broken some very very fine old Japanese pots...by mistake)
On the esthetic side, the appearance of a thicker wall is the answer. It gives the overall form some balance to the surface area of the walls. Simple design....ages old. Makes a fine pot nice and lightweight....
Thank you for the education on pot construction.

Top Bottom