Pot Value Question

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have an opportunity to purchase two larger Jim Barrett unglazed pots, but I'm a little unsure of their values. I admit that I'm out of my depth with larger pots - I've only ever purchased smaller to medium pots. Both pots are unglazed rectangles (no chips or cracks): the first is a little over 21" long (asking $200) and the other is about 15" long (asking $125). My gut tells me these are great prices from browsing the web for similar sized pots, but I wanted to ask the masses before pulling the trigger. Sorry, I don't have any good pictures of them. Anyone have thoughts?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an opportunity to purchase two larger Jim Barrett unglazed pots, but I'm a little unsure of their values. I admit that I'm out of my depth with larger pots - I've only ever purchased smaller to medium pots. Both pots are unglazed rectangles (no chips or cracks): the first is a little over 21" long (asking $200) and the other is about 15" long (asking $125). My gut tells me these are great prices from browsing the web for similar sized pots, but I wanted to ask the masses before pulling the trigger. Sorry, I don't have any good pictures of them. Anyone have thoughts?
Both prices are reasonable for large Barrett pots, IMO, IF they're not damaged...Get decent photos before paying.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slacker....

Someone bought them already!

I'd do it if you can hide the JB stamp.

Sorce

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Both prices are reasonable for large Barrett pots, IMO, IF they're not damaged...Get decent photos before paying.

I saw one of them in person on Saturday, but just didn't pull the trigger. I've been feeling like I missed an opportunity since leaving the guy's place. I'll be picking them up in person, so needless to say I'll be inspecting them closely before buying.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A quick poke around eBay shows you can easily spend more than that on anonymous Yixing rectangles of that size. Getting a 'name' potter of Jim Barrett's stature at that price is a great opportunity. In my experience, any large pot not simply thrown--that is, anything other than round--can easily be very expensive.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I reached out to the illustrious MRB for his opinion about their value. Essentially he said they're likely work 75% more than I'm going to pay for them. I'll likely poke around a little more to see if he has any other pots laying around for sale...

Top Bottom