Potential Black Oak?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have this guy behind my office and I think he is a Black Oak. I chopped it earlier this year down to about 18 inches or so. It grew back like crazy and actually reached its previous height. It must have a great root system which will likely be a pain in the butt when I dig it up.

Is this correctly identified as a Black Oak? I have attached a couple of pictures to help with identification. I looked at a bunch of websites and I am not sure if I am identifying it correctly. The leaves are huge and I haven't seen any information related to leaf reduction for this species. Is it worth the time/effort or will the leaves always be the size of my head? Thanks.Oak 1.jpgOak 2.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't worry those leaves will not always be the size of your head, as we get older our heads tend to get much fatter .....

:p

ed

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I tend to wear a tight hat to keep the swelling down as much as possible. If it gets a little tight I just get a new haircut! :cool:

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I went ahead and dug this guy in February. I am pretty sure it is a black oak, and most definitely an oak. The roots didn't look great so I didn't take any photos when I collected it. I actually thought it wouldn't make it. Luckily, it did and has grown well. I will leave it in this box and repot in spring of 2016.

So far, I can't tell if the node length and leaf size will be a problem or if it is due to recent collection. If the nodes don't shorten and I don't get more branches to help leaf reduction, I will likely just let it get nice and tall and make it a larger tree. I am planning on an informal upright if I can get branches where I want them. It's about 12 inches from the soil to the top of the old chop. The bark is starting to crack and get some character...I really don't know much about the species though so I am learning as I go.

Edit: I deleted the pictures and uploaded them again, however, they are still sideways. No clue why...

Attachments

• O2.jpg
    O2.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 15
  • O1.jpg
    O1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Top Bottom