Potential 'Katsura' nursery stock?

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was at a local nursery and found this Acer palmatum 'Katsura', and I can't tell if it's got great potential or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Pros:
  • Great fall foliage
  • Nice twin trunk start
  • Couldn't find a graft line, but I didn't get down to the nebari either
  • Plenty of foliage -- could air layer off several trees from this parent plant
Cons:
  • $68 -- I asked about sales and they said they'd give me 25% off the $90
  • Long internodes down low? I can't tell if these are too long or not
  • Crotch shoot between the two trunks
TIA!

Attachments

• PXL_20210306_183604958.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183604958.MP.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 127
  • PXL_20210306_183608489.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183608489.MP.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20210306_183613890.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183613890.MP.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20210306_183635890.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183635890.MP.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 107
  • PXL_20210306_183641023.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183641023.MP.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20210306_183655181.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183655181.MP.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 129

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cons:
  • $68 -- I asked about sales and they said they'd give me 25% off the $90

This is a con for me because mathematically, if the stock you are holding is worth being a bonsai, you won't be concerned about saving $32 dollars because the profit you could make just selling it as Pre-Bonsai is that much greater. Even the want to have it for yourself will be so great, you'll be at the counter begging them to finalize the transaction, "we don't have time for a discount", because you'll be looking over your shoulder for some other Bonsai Cat who might be eyeing you and that piece!

So unless you have absolutely unlimited space and funds, it's not worth it.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The graft union is at the place where the two trunks arise. Be advised that right now I would be of the opinion that the scion are growing more and/or faster than the graft stock. Remember, opinion. If that is so, then some day there will be a marked difference where the trunk below the graft union will be considerably different that that above it, as in smaller. This is unusual, but not unheard of. More typically the root stock is a hardier and more vigorous than the scion and the trunk below the graft union would be bigger and out of proportion to the trunk(s) above. One is not better than the other. Only time will tell, which is why most bonsaiists avoid the misery of buying something that you have to cross your fingers and hold your breath to find out if the tree you have put in several years is a mutt rather than purebred. Are you feeling lucky today?

Last edited:

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The graft union is at the place where the two trunks arise...

Are you saying that each trunk was grafted on separately to the rootstock? I see it now. Didn't think to look for a non-horizontal graft scar, especially two side by side. I'm somewhat surprised that a nursery would go to the effort of two grafts simultaneously. That makes it a hard pass for me. Thanks!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is my take... Katsura cuttings sell for around $18-50 depending on the size of the container... you could make a crap load of cuttings from that tree that are within the $20 range, and a few air-layers that would be in the $50 range. Granted, you probably won't be able to use them right now, but imagine what you will have by next spring? Plus, you can use the cuttings for grafting as they will be of the same "DNA" as your airlayers. Heck, if that tree was available to me locally I would probably pay the full price and run away from the nursery. LOL

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of pre-bonsai maples cost more, but I also think I've seen more inspiring starter material. The thoughts I have when looking at this:
  • Whats the nebari look like? I'd dig around a little before anything
  • The twin trunks are almost as thick, if not thicker, than the base. Reverse taper? If not yet, then in the future. Consequently, I'd think about removing one of those nice "twin" trunks, and use the crotch growth as the first, low branch
  • If you do the above, is the tree grafted? If yes, then you might get a lot of growth from the root stock. Likewise, is that low crotch growth branch Katsura or root stock JM?
  • Those low internodes are long. You have to commit to a tree in proportion to those internodes. Due to the space I have available, I like smaller trees and would pass on this for that reason.
  • If you get the tree and the graft is a problem, I'd air layer and ditch the root stock.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To me, it sounds a bit pricey .. The plant does not seem to have a lot of desirable characteristics.
But maybe the cultivar is more expensive?

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm going to pass on this tree primarily because of the long internodes and and only having a small apartment balcony makes the space too valuable to use on this tree

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good thinking. Stumble around this forum and watch for good candidates for a houseplant that can use that outdoor space to your liking and will serve as a nice indoor tree in winter. Start here. You will see that you can start at any size or quality, and if price is no object, the sky is the limit. More here. Take your time searching.

Top Bottom