Potential yamadori (lonicera maacki)

MR422

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
44D5E408-BA7E-445A-BBB6-220AA4F7A5B3.jpeg

I dug this Amur Honeysuckle out of my backyard. It had grown in to a chain link fence which is evident by the unremovable little bits of metal. My plan is to remove much of the larger taproots and to take off the branches on the right side.

Is this a good plan?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you dug it out of your backyard, then it is a field grown tree and not a yamadori: it has not been stunted and shaped by the forces of nature on a mountain. Regardless, itseems like a fine specimen for a multi trunk. Do not cut anymore roots for now, pur it in a growbox, protect it from the wind and cold (maybe an unheated garage?) And let it grow unchecked the first year before cutting anything else. Good luck!

MR422

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you dug it out of your backyard, then it is a field grown tree and not a yamadori: it has not been stunted and shaped by the forces of nature on a mountain. Regardless, itseems like a fine specimen for a multi trunk. Do not cut anymore roots for now, pur it in a growbox, protect it from the wind and cold (maybe an unheated garage?) And let it grow unchecked the first year before cutting anything else. Good luck!
Thanks! I know the the perfect place to put it, unfortunately I don’t have a big enough pot. I’ll have to go out and buy one. I assume I should use a mix of potting soil and my local backyard soil?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! I know the the perfect place to put it, unfortunately I don’t have a big enough pot. I’ll have to go out and buy one. I assume I should use a mix of potting soil and my local backyard soil?
You uprooted that tree without a pot for it? Hopefully, you are keeping the roots covered somehow. Do not use your backyard soil and much less potting soil. Pure pumice is the way to go.

MR422

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You uprooted that tree without a pot for it? Hopefully, you are keeping the roots covered somehow. Do not use your backyard soil and much less potting soil. Pure pumice is the way to go.
I underestimated its size. The roots are covered in a black trash bag.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry to tell you this, but your tree might not make it. When collecting, the most important part is aftercare and you dont seem to be able to provide it for this tree at this moment.

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
if it makes it or not potentials make great bonsai in my own opinion. Potentials grow all over here in northern Idaho. I like checking out forest service ground that is used for cows. open range grazing. makes for a fun day.

Top Bottom