Potential yamadori?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Found this on the side of a pond damn. Not exactly sure if the species of oak. Does anyone see any potential? Still relatively new at collecting yamadori

Attachments

• 97D9BDCB-0D80-452E-B0DE-795E5B0AF59E.jpeg
    97D9BDCB-0D80-452E-B0DE-795E5B0AF59E.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 17A75BC8-8F55-4A5C-966D-4E0AE4D2D45C.jpeg
    17A75BC8-8F55-4A5C-966D-4E0AE4D2D45C.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 169

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It appears that the largest low branch is cracking downward... knowing that, I, personally, would “scrap” that branch in “design contemplation... and if that branch is “out of the picture”.. I would only collect with a drastic “prune-back” in mind. lil’ stumpy.(Not sure if oaks even handle that well)... that’s IF i was going to collect.. that information MAY deter me.

🤓

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it's alive all the way to the top, it looks like you could get excellent taper almost immediately by chopping off non-vertical branches. Leave a stump for each branch, and then remove the stump later.

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In particular, it looks like you could train an excellent formal upright. Also, one other caveat: Oaks have deep tap roots. Dig deep when collecting, and prepare for transplant shock. There are various products on the market advertised as mitigating transplant shock, but there's some debate whether they actually work.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think the center portion is dead/dying. The branch to the left is the vigorous one. It’s like 6 feet high. It’s also on the side of a pond damn so I’m hoping the tap root isn’t too big due to the abundance of available water.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the center portion is dead/dying. The branch to the left is the vigorous one. It’s like 6 feet high. It’s also on the side of a pond damn so I’m hoping the tap root isn’t too big due to the abundance of available water.
I see a straight section interrupted by a slingshot. What do you see that interested you?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I see a straight section interrupted by a slingshot. What do you see that interested you?
Honestly it’s difficult to find yamadori where I live and I’ve been wanting to work with oak.
Is this one any better ?

Attachments

• 35D9831A-EBB8-48D1-82AA-F9B1873C0CBC.jpeg
    35D9831A-EBB8-48D1-82AA-F9B1873C0CBC.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 118

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Honestly it’s difficult to find yamadori where I live and I’ve been wanting to work with oak.
Is this one any better ?
Yes it has some movement, but very uniform as in no apparent taper. Could start with a chop low keeping the right branch to build taper and go from there! Of course this is after collection, survival, etc. And no real idea of the nebari.
Rule #1 check out the nebari
Rule #2 check out the trunk for movement and taper!
Rule #3 check out the collectability
Rule #4 if the answer to each of the first three is yes than consider collection.
Rule # 5 The rules above vary in interpretation;)
It often pays to look in areas that experience more traffic, wildlife, extreme weather etc.

Top Bottom