Potentilla advice

BonsaiEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found an interesting looking potentilla in a small nursery. It's definitely seen better days but I think it's got potential. So I'm looking for advice on what to do first should I repot into bonsai mix(currently in pretty poor compacted potting soil) or should I prune it back hard to get some back budding. Here's a couple of pictures any advice much appreciated its a total spaghetti mess right now. IMG_20200730_193345.jpgIMG_20200730_193422.jpg

BonsaiEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn’t mess with the roots until spring.
OK thanks for the help. Would you say I would be best to wait until then to do any heavy pruning.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I’d personally be happy to prune quite hard now. Remember this species has strong root/branch connections, so radical cuts (e.g. large branch removal leaving no greenery below) may lead to loss of some root.

There would alao be an argument for building vigour in the tree for a while before heavy pruning - depends on your appetite for risk.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice find!!

I would recommend to repot your potentilla next early spring in pure akadama as they love water and have rather aggressive roots. Get the roots healthy and established, wait a year then go for a styling. That being said Potentilla are basal dominant (cytokinin) so at all pruning times go ahead and work on crotch growth. Go easy on the apex and try to lay down sky reaching shoots

Try to get loads of early mid day sun and afternoon shade if you can.

I did my potentilla pruning a few weeks back with excellent success.

BonsaiEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d personally be happy to prune quite hard now. Remember this species has strong root/branch connections, so radical cuts (e.g. large branch removal leaving no greenery below) may lead to loss of some root.

There would alao be an argument for building vigour in the tree for a while before heavy pruning - depends on your appetite for risk.
Thanks just going to tidy it up a bit then give it some time to get some vigour. I came across your potentilla I believe on another forum very nice. Thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom