Potentilla bunjin - turned upside down

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a potentilla I have that has been thru a lot. It originally was a branch on a big multi trunk tree in a big pot. After some major trauma due to a storm I think, it was turned into a bunjin with a sister tree that did not survive the ex wife. This pic is from 2012. 4665BB64-1005-48F6-A9C5-530AD669970E.jpeg

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As it turned out, this tree would fly like a kite in a bad storm. It got blown across the yard a few times, and last spring during repotting it just kind of fell over and gave up the fight. I tried to keep it upright with a number of devices, but it wasn’t in the cards. I 4529F97F-9D2E-48EC-BA97-42527FEEF944.jpeg1B54114D-8782-418C-AB71-E16162850576.jpeglet it do it’s thing for a few years. Here it is in the same pot, I just trimmed it and it’s ready for styling. Also a close up of the trunk and deadwood, and a shot of the pot which has a neat crack in it. I have a Sara Rayner pot for it but I kind of like the old cheap pot that suffered along with the tree. I may try to preserve the pot. 84AD39E3-E7A4-4B6D-99EF-389107A81C8A.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
last spring during repotting it just kind of fell over and gave up the fight. I tried to keep it upright with a number of devices, but it wasn’t in the cards.
Even wired into the pot??

Regardless, you should forget the story and just enjoy the accolades for such a creative design of a potentilla! :cool:

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks like the tree (and gravity) had a better idea for the design. I love it.

Do you think that filling the cracks in the pot with a 2-part epoxy would work?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks so much better after change:eek:! Small green weed with tiny flower heads in pot is to be eradicated. Very insidious/difficult to kill off:mad:. Clover like weed almost as bado_O.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gnarly tree as its history aged it right along with it. I too love the pot which suffered the same fate. I hope you can repair the inside of the pot to prevent it from crumbling. And keep the integrity of the weather/storm beaten pair.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It wasn’t the wiring to the pot that was the problem. The deadwood started to break off of the trunk, and the skinny trunk could not support the tree. I used heavy wire and supports but looked like crap. As it is the deadwood is just hanging there. I need to figure out how to attach it.

stedy

Seedling
Reaction score
If you try to patch the pot, do it from the inside. The crack accents the crack on the tree.

Do try to save all the dead parts, but have a backup plan. In my limited experience, it *will* eventually break off. There is a lime solution (I think it is) used to make jin. Personally, I don't Iike the bright color, but I understand it 'hardens' the dead wood.

Bottom line: HUZZAH!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you try to patch the pot, do it from the inside. The crack accents the crack on the tree.

Do try to save all the dead parts, but have a backup plan. In my limited experience, it *will* eventually break off. There is a lime solution (I think it is) used to make jin. Personally, I don't Iike the bright color, but I understand it 'hardens' the dead wood.

Bottom line: HUZZAH!
I'm guessing he addressed these issues by now since this post is almost five years old. It does make me curious though. How's the tree looking now, Dave?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huh! Really like pot but seems is no fan of freezing weather. Likely would present self better turned 180 degrees if surviving past 4/5 Winters☺️.

Top Bottom