Potentilla - Buttercup Explosion

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a potentilla I have developed from raw material - it's called Buttercup Explosion:

Here it is as a raw bush, freshly dug from the garden:

14thjune185_zpsd3f75dd9 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Initial wiring for structure a year later after it established in the pot. Uro created to eliminate major crssing branch:

18thfeb17_zps91a232aa by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Filling out - pads starting to form:

IMG_20160314_173714_zpsbgk34mda by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Close up of the deadwood running through the flaking, cinnamon coloured bark - Potentilla is one of the few species of deciduous trees it works well with:

18thfeb25_zpsb4e85eff by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Silhouette fills out quickly - they grow fast and drink a LOT - on a par with Wisteria / Swamp Cypress. Wired 2 times per growing season - 4 cut backs in total. Branches were wired for good undulating movement. Ramification is coming along well.

IMG_20170503_182107874_zps9hphvhx4 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

It has very pretty flowers dotted all over it.
IMG_20170816_145526_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Full sun kind of washed out the true buttercup yellow except for below where the bottom 2 flowers are in shade:
IMG_20170816_145543_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's really beautiful. How long was it in the garden? Was this something that was originally planted for future use as bonsai, or was it a lucky find?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Such a good work you have done, Marie!
Potentillas grow so very beautiful in your country!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice indeed! I've had one for almost twenty years but there is almost nothing left of it now. Deadwood works well stylistically, which is fortunate since cut branches die back to the roots rather than scar over, but it rots fairly quickly. I recommend wood hardener.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful! Very nice work Marie!

Thank you Brian - that means a lot coming from you. It's a little hairy at the moment to allow the flowers to bloom. You got me into growing Japanese White Beech - can I ask if you can remember when you first got your Beech? I can't remember when I first planted the seedling that's now looking well on it's way to being a credible tree. It'll take 4 or 5 more seasons before I am happy with it. JW Beech aren't renowned for their speed :(

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice indeed! I've had one for almost twenty years but there is almost nothing left of it now. Deadwood works well stylistically, which is fortunate since cut branches die back to the roots rather than scar over, but it rots fairly quickly. I recommend wood hardener.

Thanks for the tip. Potentilla are not long lived and it'll probably leave my garden when I need space which will be fairly soon - I really need to stop propagating - 12 junis and 5 maples added this year alone.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
- can I ask if you can remember when you first got your Beech?
December 2004. Sold it in 2015. I love J. Beeches, but they're not a whole lot of fun to train. I'm planning to try again at some point with younger material, and maybe do a 3-tree clump.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very well done and the progress you have made with this tree is readily apparent.
Nice!!!!:cool:

Reactions: Vin

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Potentilla with that sizable trunk are hard to come across. They are short lived, but so beautiful. Great work on this. Would love to see your beech.... pretty please...:)

Reactions: Vin

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Potentilla with that sizable trunk are hard to come across. They are short lived, but so beautiful. Great work on this. Would love to see your beech.... pretty please...:)

I'll take a pic tomorrow - be warned though - it's still rough and in one of my amazing plastic 'grow it on crates' LOL.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She COH of England...
Also ten years in.

How about that avatar!

Nice work!

Sorce

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is quite a striking tree! It makes me want one :)

I'm always intrigued by the taxonomy of plants. I hadn't heard of Potentilla before so I looked it up. It looks like this species is also called Dasiphora fruticosa and it's true name is unresolved. Wikipedia entry is here.

Top Bottom