Potentilla collection!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my favorite things about bonsai is the extra appreciation for the nature in my state. This collection brought me to a place that was really inspiring. Very much like a desert on this private property. Not a big area, but full of character.

Anyway, I brought a few pieces of random stuff and also collected an unknown plant for a possible accent if I ever show this tree one day in the future.

I don’t really have any point here just wanted to share my excitement for a new species and a new environment. Also, the container will be hard to choose for this tree. I think I will leave it as a semi cascade. Let me know your thoughts on this Potentilla.
BDA0C22E-953A-4364-BFFC-A62497A91D3B.jpegDD3FBB27-719E-4227-B790-AA05CAFA427A.jpeg560206DC-A09C-4645-9FED-51B23C67CD3B.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice wild potentilla. Just .. Let it recove before making plans. These have some of the most dedicated connections between roots and foliage, and are thus at collection prone to dying off of complete main branches. Make plans once you know which parts survive. Some form of low crawling wind-blown form comes to mind, as found on coasts rock cliffs

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very NICE, Spiniken!

I collected a very young one this year.. well.. separated.. I found it growing in an Elaeagnus pot..

I do not think that the VARIETY i collected has any “woody potential”... it’s the “mock strawberry”... I just like the foliage.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jealous with collected potentilla! Here we have to make due with nursery stock (which is admittedly abundant and can be character-filled if sufficiently neglected) and most of the landscape potentilla I have examined tend to have very loose and spreading stems, which makes for an uninteresting structure.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That spiral of branches is pretty cool. It will be an interesting trunk.

Eventually, if it were mine, I would be inclined to raise it up a little, maybe 30 degrees above horizontal. then cascade it from there.
100% agree with you Leo

Dude! Thanks for sharing...wicked cool piece. Wish you the best with it. Nothing like that around these parts...It looks pretty massive. Or is that an optical illusion?
It is pretty big, but not massive. If you look I have a soda can next to it to show scale.
you do have some great yamadori material to pick from down there in the state of Michigan, always expecting some killer yamadori when you post😎

Thanks, I really never find this species and it is the only nice one I have come across. I found it two years ago and collected two smaller ones that are both doing very well and seem to grow very fast and easy. I am confident with this one but its still an experiment. I hope to find more of this species!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
100% agree with you Leo

It is pretty big, but not massive. If you look I have a soda can next to it to show scale.

Thanks, I really never find this species and it is the only nice one I have come across. I found it two years ago and collected two smaller ones that are both doing very well and seem to grow very fast and easy. I am confident with this one but its still an experiment. I hope to find more of this species!
I noticed that later...but, I imagine still a good hefty weight. I'm done with larger trees. Actually...I've not went out and intentionally purchased a large scale tree...other than the rock planting thuja. I just can't manage them on my own...and I hate to ask for help. Today...the Ryusen needed watered...so I was just barely able to move it to the resting spot it sits this morning. Looks like it may sit out there for a good two weeks without two stepping. So yay for that!

Thanks again for sharing...Going to be a killer tree when all done and styled. It looks gnarly already.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
One of my favorite things about bonsai is the extra appreciation for the nature in my state. This collection brought me to a place that was really inspiring. Very much like a desert on this private property. Not a big area, but full of character.

Anyway, I brought a few pieces of random stuff and also collected an unknown plant for a possible accent if I ever show this tree one day in the future.

I don’t really have any point here just wanted to share my excitement for a new species and a new environment. Also, the container will be hard to choose for this tree. I think I will leave it as a semi cascade. Let me know your thoughts on this Potentilla.
View attachment 374731View attachment 374732View attachment 374733
Love this - can't wait to see how it progresses!

By the way, the first photo...it took me a good few minutes to realise that it wasn't growing inside half a dead bird 😂

Just me who sees this??

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
At 28 I can't quite blame old age, definitely short attention span though!

But to be fair it really does look like half of a dead bird
I'm not nursing home material yet, just a saying. But short attention span, yeah.

Top Bottom