Potentilla fruticosa Shohin

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Certainly an interesting possibility for this tree. It is also an exellent virt, thank you.

I don't know if I have that much trunk/rootage under the soil to pull off such a tilt and expose such on the left, but the concept is sound.

I really like this solution if the tree will cooperate but I know how brittle this plant is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're missing the most significant, no doubt historical, bonsai event in America? There will never be another "first" National Exhibit.

Ah well, tell the old hermit I said hello, I understand he will also be there. I'll email you on a scoop I need for another (larger) tree.

Have fun, drive careful, sell much.

Will

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're missing the most significant, no doubt historical, bonsai event in America? There will never be another "first" National Exhibit.

Sounds like you found a good reason to leave Detroit!:)
Couldn't help it. Bad weekend choice for some. Good show in Asheville, nice place.
I'm sure there will be another, the "2nd" .
I'm sure I've seen most of the trees before somewhere.

Ah well, tell the old hermit I said hello, I understand he will also be there. I'll email you on a scoop I need for another (larger) tree.

He won't be there. Medical probs I hear. He was replaced by Peter Adams.
Dale

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sounds like you found a good reason to leave Detroit!:)
Couldn't help it. Bad weekend choice for some. Good show in Asheville, nice place.
I'm sure there will be another, the "2nd" .
I'm sure I've seen most of the trees before somewhere.

He won't be there. Medical probs I hear. He was replaced by Peter Adams.
Dale

Lol, any reason is a good reason to leave Detroit. ;)

Sorry to hear about the hermit, I'll drop him a line and threaten him with black flies in the mail.

Thanks,

Will

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree guys, the left trunk is bothersome, my thoughts were to angle the whole tree severly to the right, as I could not see a jin that works as the tree currently is angled.

Potentilla's are difficult to bend at that thickness, so that option is dead I'm afraid. I could retrain a lower shoot on the left trunk to mimic the movement of the right trunk or jin it very close to the main trunk...but I fear the right trunk would not work alone.

I am also still debating the high root on the right side of the right trunk.

Some decisions need to be made here, which is the reason I thought this would be a good shohin for discussion.

Possibilities yes, but also many possible outcomes...

You could make a triangular cut which will make it possible to give the left trunk an other direction and keep it in place with wire. It will heal in a few weeks.

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
You could make a triangular cut which will make it possible to give the left trunk an other direction and keep it in place with wire. It will heal in a few weeks.

Like this:

cinquefoil_potentilla_fruticosa_006.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Like this:

cinquefoil_potentilla_fruticosa_006.jpg

Are you aware of how brittle this species is? I think the suggestion has some merit except for its plausibility and the fact that the appearance of the smaller trunk pulling in closer to the main trunk may rule this option out.

Last edited:

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My two cents. I couldn't get past the high root either. I think I'd remove it and work on balancing out the rest

Attachments

• potentilla.jpg
    potentilla.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 43

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
Are you aware of how brittle this species is? I think the suggestion has some merit except for its plausibility and the fact that the appearance of the smaller trunk pulling in closer to the main trunk may rule this option out.

It would work.
It's worth a try before cutting it away.
I think it could make a heck of a compact tree, and a daughter leading the mother is something we have to learn to live with today lol.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brittle?

Like a barberis!

My point for bringing up this issue is that it is easy to make design decisions on a tree concerning wedging and wiring when you may not be familiar with a trees ability to withstand or even survive the procedure. I learned this early on when I tried to wire a Ficus Benjamina coming at the tree from my experience with wiring Pines. I was totally shocked at how little you could wire the Ficus without snapping a branch, probably 75% less than you could with a Pine. So an attempt to put a branch into an easy position for a Pine was not so easy with the Ficus.

From my limited experience with the Potentilla I would rate this tree even more brittle than the Ficus, unless you are dealing with green wood, forget about lignified branches; its like trying to wire uncooked pasta. Barked over branches are probably a hopeless effort guaranteed to fail.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmm, that high root is a bit problematic. I would probably remove it and develop the tree with both main branches in their current position into a full rounded crown that covers both of them. Since the best aspect of this tree is the flowers, which only grow on 2-inch extensions, you would do well to have a large crown and then let a couple shoots run to give you flowers. I've seen a nice one done this way. (I think this one was about 10 inches high.)

Attachments

• potentilla.jpg
    potentilla.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 74

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Certainly an interesting possibility for this tree. It is also an exellent virt, thank you.

I don't know if I have that much trunk/rootage under the soil to pull off such a tilt and expose such on the left, but the concept is sound.

It is an excellent virt, but as I think someone mentioned, Potentilla grow like junipers with distinct live veins connected to roots. It might be tricky to tip the tree like this without totally exposing/removing the rootball on the left side, which very well might kill the small trunk. Hard to say without knowing this tree personally. It's a gamble, but it might be worth taking the risk to improve the tree. "Go big or go home" sort of idea.

How's the tree looking this year Will?

Last edited:
Top Bottom