Potentilla

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I already have this one posted somewere but id like a thread fir this one to keep track of its progression

Anazing how fast these things grow!

A serie of pics from spring up to today !

downloadfile-1 (1).jpg
Before

downloadfile-2 (1).jpg
After chop and repot

rps20170422_003152.jpg
First signs of life with a dice for scale

20170522_213140.jpg
More green with lighter for scale

20170704_215728.jpg
Still growing

20170816_212220.jpg
Even flowered allot

potentilla2.jpg
Today almosth all leaves are gone amazing to see how much it grew

Im unsure on what ill do next, i am thinking of removing one of the trunks but havnt decided yet wich one first thing will be removing all unwanted branching :)

If you have any sugestions for styling please share your toughts!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would keep all three trunks, but I really like multitrunk trees. They have nice spacing and motion from each other. I would get some wire out and start to shape the canopy. One trunk should be the fattest one, so I'd try to let that one grow, and hold the other two back to get some size differentiation.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would keep all three trunks, but I really like multitrunk trees. They have nice spacing and motion from each other. I would get some wire out and start to shape the canopy. One trunk should be the fattest one, so I'd try to let that one grow, and hold the other two back to get some size differentiation.

Thnx judy!
Yes that crossed my mind too if i do it that way i would let the middle trunk get bigger

If i apply Wire it will go on in spring but it are realy thin branches so maybe il clip and grow first two seasons it showed me how well this species responds to pruning :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@JudyB i think ill stick to the three trunks yeah!

Pruned some unwanted growth and pruned back some twigs and slapped some wire on
Most branches should be pruned back even more but ill wait with that untill i can see were the new green will pop up to prune back too
20171210_080608.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I already have this one posted somewere but id like a thread fir this one to keep track of its progression

Anazing how fast these things grow!

A serie of pics from spring up to today !

View attachment 169378
Before

View attachment 169379
After chop and repot

View attachment 169380
First signs of life with a dice for scale

View attachment 169381
More green with lighter for scale

View attachment 169382
Still growing

View attachment 169383
Even flowered allot

View attachment 169384
Today almosth all leaves are gone amazing to see how much it grew

Im unsure on what ill do next, i am thinking of removing one of the trunks but havnt decided yet wich one first thing will be removing all unwanted branching :)

If you have any sugestions for styling please share your toughts!

Hi defra,
Really cool wee tree. Exciting to see how much growth you are getting as it will develop and ramify quite quickly.
I don’t understand design too much at my stage but agree with @JudyB about the 3 trunks ( one thicker etc).
I will enjoy watching it progress.
Charles

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This is fantastic! Gets too hot here but I love these! Another thing that I like is species that have a lot of history and lore. This is one that has a great deal of history in Europe, like its use with heraldry.

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sigh I dont know why i still try to take pictures indoors outside is sooo much better

View attachment 170620

Hi defra,
Nice in the natural light yep.
I must find myself some of those bonsai training pots. Where would I look?
They look much nicer than common nursery pots and the shallower root run.
Charles

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi defra,
Nice in the natural light yep.
I must find myself some of those bonsai training pots. Where would I look?
They look much nicer than common nursery pots and the shallower root run.
Charles

I ordered this one from aliexpress cheap and free shipping

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good deal defra! Next time you repot it, think about planting at a slight angle, try leaning it to the left a bit and see if that makes more movement.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice, I like it.
Potentilla is a great species for us cold winter bonsai growers, they are very cold hardy.

In addition to leaning it left, to position the left trunk more like a branch I would consider removing the center trunk. Just my thoughts, it could work as a 3 trunk style, the way it is, but consider the possibility. I like the idea of a single trunk. My preference, not a "you must do it".

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, I like it.
Potentilla is a great species for us cold winter bonsai growers, they are very cold hardy.

In addition to leaning it left, to position the left trunk more like a branch I would consider removing the center trunk. Just my thoughts, it could work as a 3 trunk style, the way it is, but consider the possibility. I like the idea of a single trunk. My preference, not a "you must do it".

I looked at that posibility but if i remove the middle trunk there is going to be to much space between the remaining two trunks at least to my personal preference..
But things like this are never finished so who knows what lies in the future
thnx for sharing your toughts! its appriciated!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great !
I love these trees, I got one last year and have ( for the most part)just let it grow. But I really can't wait to start doing some work one her!

Is fall a good time to trim branch's back ?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@defra You are going to have a nice little semicircle bushy flowering bonsai very soon!
This is fantastic! Gets too hot here but I love these! Another thing that I like is species that have a lot of history and lore. This is one that has a great deal of history in Europe, like its use with heraldry.
It's the same over here :( Our hot & dry summer has already killed mine and I wont have another but I do adore Potentillas.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks great !
I love these trees, I got one last year and have ( for the most part)just let it grow. But I really can't wait to start doing some work one her!

Is fall a good time to trim branch's back ?

I did do some trimming now but left some to be pruned in spring.

i chopped this one in spring when buds started to swell and it reacted with lots of growth so id wait with major cuts untill spring comes

Top Bottom