Potheads assemble! Commissioning ins and outs?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Let me be straight forward with this: I have no tree that deserves a commissioned pot whatsoever.
Maybe in 20 years I will.

But what can I say eh? Potters offer pressure me to ask for commissions. It is what it is. I'm generally a nice guy and I tend to break under pressure, so I think I'll pay them a bit of money to do some pottery for me.
However, I don't know jack pine about pottery. I order my pots online from pretty pictures and descriptions that say 'unglazed/glazed' and 'frost resistant'. Usually that's it, no more to it. If it fits, it sits.
Most of these sweet wine drinking clay sculptors don't know much about bonsai either. So we have some common ground there. I did see one of them do a little happy jump when I gave in, so they're excited to give it a go!

I'd like to know from the people that do know about pottery, firing cones and all the likes in relation to bonsai..
What do I ask for, apart from a sketch and dimensions? Do clay types matter a lot?
What are things often overlooked?
What actually makes a pot frost resistant?
What shouldn't be done when commissioning a pot?
Do you have any advice about commissioning a pot?
What would your ideal commission be like, in the sense of what someone should provide you to start working your magic.

Thanks in advance!

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
As a potter I am here to serve you, so tell me what you want! I personally don't like open ended requests and I prefer detailed instructions.

When I take commissions I usually have folks show me a pot from my past repertoire as a base and suggest modifications from those. "I like this color but that lip and this foot". Clay and glaze selection usually follow from this.
The more precise the dimensions I am given, the better. You will be disappointed if you ask for something a potter hasn't proven he can deliver.

The annoying people are the ones who don't actually know what they want. "I want a suiban, with holes, and its 6" tall." true story.

Do not assume the firing cone imparts frost resistance. What matters is that the clay is properly formulated for that firing range and is the responsibility of the potter to get right. If a potter points to the cone as proof of frost resistance they may be correct if they are using store bought clay, but the cone on its own doesn't mean anything.

obligatory plug: tokutakebonsai.com

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've had a few commissioned. The potter has always known I need vitrified pots for my climate. I typically show them the tree in question. I tell them the tree size...possibly pot size its currently in and so fourth. They can be great fun working with the potter to come up with a direction.

However...I had this commissioned two years ago. Last spring I didn't do a repot, because the bald cypress didn't go fully dormant. Wasn't worth the risk. This year...I hadn't anticipated the bulking of the base as it has. I honestly don't feel the tree will come close to fitting into this now pot. So...that is something to consider. I doubt I ever look for another commissioned pot for this tree.
received_325204414798663.jpeg

Just the same...this one was inspiration of the potter. As I stated I truly did not want a blue pot for the Ginkgo. He nailed it. I believe a potter to a degree...a good one has a bit of artistic eye...knows what he's capable of. Thus I think it is quite important to converse back and fourth. To go in with tunnel vision...wanting point blank this look. I've never really done that. Feminine...maybe a color...but I believe a potter finalizes the image. If you don't like it...it still sells. Just to another.
Screenshot_20201119-171926_Firefox.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I reckon the only thing is assuming, which you're correcting now.

I was recently talking with someone about this in regards to what a music producer needs to bring to a mixing engineer to end up with a good product.

The answer is the same. Communication.

This research is what you should be doing.

I'm near the other end of the spectrum if @NaoTK wants detailed instructions. I'd rather just see the tree and get carte blanche.

It's important to remember to seek someone who works the way you want to work.. When you find them, ask for references, pics of other commissions.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
* I don't feel I should explain a process to vitrified pots to a potter. Let them do their own research...they understand the lingo better than you. Then...you aren't crossing miscommunication in the process.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
As a potter I am here to serve you, so tell me what you want! I personally don't like open ended requests and I prefer detailed instructions.

When I take commissions I usually have folks show me a pot from my past repertoire as a base and suggest modifications from those. "I like this color but that lip and this foot". Clay and glaze selection usually follow from this.
The more precise the dimensions I am given, the better. You will be disappointed if you ask for something a potter hasn't proven he can deliver.

The annoying people are the ones who don't actually know what they want. "I want a suiban, with holes, and its 6" tall." true story.

Do not assume the firing cone imparts frost resistance. What matters is that the clay is properly formulated for that firing range and is the responsibility of the potter to get right. If a potter points to the cone as proof of frost resistance they may be correct if they are using store bought clay, but the cone on its own doesn't mean anything.

obligatory plug: tokutakebonsai.com

I have recently started to follow your work on Instagram and your website.

Would you consider creating a container for a tree in a more collaborative sense with the tree, and bonsai practitioner?

I have a tree that I fancy will need more of a custom pot. I have several ideas and enjoy working with another artist.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Let me be straight forward with this: I have no tree that deserves a commissioned pot whatsoever.
Maybe in 20 years I will.

But what can I say eh? Potters offer pressure me to ask for commissions. It is what it is. I'm generally a nice guy and I tend to break under pressure, so I think I'll pay them a bit of money to do some pottery for me.
However, I don't know jack pine about pottery. I order my pots online from pretty pictures and descriptions that say 'unglazed/glazed' and 'frost resistant'. Usually that's it, no more to it. If it fits, it sits.
Most of these sweet wine drinking clay sculptors don't know much about bonsai either. So we have some common ground there. I did see one of them do a little happy jump when I gave in, so they're excited to give it a go!

I'd like to know from the people that do know about pottery, firing cones and all the likes in relation to bonsai..
What do I ask for, apart from a sketch and dimensions? Do clay types matter a lot?
What are things often overlooked?
What actually makes a pot frost resistant?
Do you have any advice about commissioning a pot?
What would your ideal commission be like, in the sense of what someone should provide you to start working your magic.

Thanks in advance!
Here is a link to ordering direction with Ron Lang. This was helpful when I placed my order with him

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience ORDERING a custom made pot, and once NOT ordering with another potter..

I realized that working with a potter that actually understands the purpose makes your process a lot easier. In the Netherlands I worked with MADE bonsai pots. The owner and her husband share a common interest. Design. He does trees. She does pots.

based on your pot and a vague description like
I want a suiban, with holes, and its 6" tall
they come with a few sketches to propose. Alternatively, they also take a sketch and work on that to propose what they can do.

Next to that.. Look at the pots they have made before. Each potter has a personal style. Asking for a rough pot from a pitch-perfect shiny pots potter or a perfectly smooth glazed pot from a "rock-potter" will give disappointment and frustration, imho.

I also tried to get a pot made for a specific tree where I knew more or less what I wanted. However the potter was unable to translate my ideas for the pot, and doubts about the type of lip on the pot into a suggestion. His answer "I just make the pot mate, I have no clue on matching pots with trees" did not help me in finding a good design, nor did it give me a feeling that the potter in the process would come to where I was headed with my ideas..

As for clay-type, cone etc.. I leave that to the potter. I just say: It will be outside in all weather which may include -15c in winter

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know nothin'. I buy pots from specific bonsai potters because I like their pots. I tell them what the pot is for, the size, shape, finish & color I want and the details I leave to them. I was in the custom moulding of plastics business and I can tell you this: the customer can tell the vendor what the parts must do, or he can specify how he wants it made. If you tell me how to make my parts, the responsibility for how they work is your problem. I charged extra for being told how to do my job.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have ordered a pot to be made by Ross Adams a.k.a. Nitju Clayworks.
I picked the size, shape and color of the glaze from a set of options on his web page.
Not sure Id really call it "custom" as it was a set of options available for order

I am at the point where unless I know I have a tree for a pot, I try not to buy any more pots.
I have enough (probably too many) now that dont have trees that I dont need any more of those.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have ordered a pot to be made by Ross Adams a.k.a. Nitju Clayworks.
I picked the size, shape and color of the glaze from a set of options on his web page.
Not sure Id really call it "custom" as it was a set of options available for order

I am at the point where unless I know I have a tree for a pot, I try not to buy any more pots.
I have enough (probably too many) now that dont have trees that I dont need any more of those.
Are you............collecting trees for your pots or collecting pots for your trees? ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro.....overlooked....

Custom Placed Tie Downs.

If you have a leaner, or something with a big low root that stays hidden but is great for tying to....

I think having custom holage is pretty important.

Schtick that Oregon Hole on a Pot so they ain't gotta drill em....since I heard the Drill Bit store got looted anyway! Lol.

Sorce

Top Bottom