Pots and Glaze

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had 4 pots come out of the kiln this week. All the same basic design. Trying to get a handle on glazing. These pots were double dipped about 3 seconds each which was way to much glaze. I am just learning. I will not make that mistake again, however, I am happy with the colors. One pot has a drip that is off the side of the pot which, according to my instructor, is a very desirable trait in some Japanese potting circles. It actually has a name but I have forgotten what he called it. Front and inside view.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work there!!! It amazes me at the quality I see from you newbies to pottery. No way could I even come close to your finished results.
To be honest I never thought I would be able to do it either. It is odd to me to think I have created something like this.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I really like the 2nd and 3rd one. I'm sure alot of people might not want a purple pot, so you might as well just send it to me;)

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That 2nd one almost looks like a forest scene at night with black tree trunks and underbrush with some ominous back lighting

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work I really like the fading purple glaze. Good improvement on the feet, and you side walls are looking better. Keep up the good work.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Niiiiice!
Would you sell them?
You know I am just not sure I am there yet with the selling. Maybe someday for sure. But for now I like to hear other peoples feedback and I will keep trying to improve how I put them together.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Looking great! What size are they? They’re really well done.

Oh yes, how did you glaze just the outside. I’ve been mulling that over. Can’t dip the whole thing. Do you use wax resist on the feet and bottom?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can’t dip the whole thing. Do you use wax resist on the feet and bottom?
I do use wax resist. I also tape the holes and dunk the bottom first...take the tape off and dunk the rim side. They vary in size 8X11 being the largest.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New crop of pots. Glazed prior to my glaze class. Overall happy with the pots. I have two cracks on the one in the back on right hand side. I tried using vinegar to repair them...it did not work.
20180626_065757.jpg

I also wanted to share this with fellow potters. A project we did in glaze class. Each stripe on the cylinder is a different glaze. Each dot on the stripe is a different glaze. This allows you to see what different combinations of glaze look like together.
Worthwhile project!
20180626_065912.jpg
Keep potting people!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a body and glaze mender you can purchase.
When you get more accustomed to the pottery bodies,
a "glue" can be made from low fired balanced frits.

You can also push a highly grogged clay into the crack and
then reglaze.

I do suggest you experiment on how to repair before
doing a major effort.

Always remember --------- see the tree ---------- not the pot.
Glazes and Vases - yeah!!!
Good Day
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always remember --------- see the tree ---------- not the pot.
Agree! And I will back off the glazes after I learn how they interact with each other. Just trying to kill two birds with one stone. Practice slab building and glazing.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Really like your stuff, but if I could offer a critique of these two images...

Fist image shows pin-holing in the glaze, you might want to let this glaze go a little longer next time when firing so the glaze stops off-gassing and has time to mature and heal over, could cause potential problems with water/ice infiltration and flaking off down the road. Unless of course this is a glaze that's supposed to leave a pinhole texture, then forget what I just said.

Second Image, clean up of the seams is essential for a bonsai pot, so I'd be a bit more careful in the future. Just something to keep in mind if the pot is going to be exposed to freeze/thaw cycles. Each of those little ridges is a potential area where ice can exert mechanical stress upon the pot and snap the ceramic, so smooth and seamless is what you want. But again, if this is going to be used on an indoor tropical, then forget what I just said.

What cone are you firing to? 6? 10? Really like how you get a shadow of the clay under the white glaze, adds some nice depth to the color of the pot, good job.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really like your stuff, but if I could offer a critique of these two images...
Expected! And appreciated!
Unfortunately, I do not have much control over the time the pots are in the kiln since I do not have my own kiln. I did learn how to load the kiln yesterday so I am working towards that. The seems...I am working towards cleaning them up. Refining the pot is an art as well I am finding out. These pots will more than likely never leave AZ so do not have to be overly concerned about freezing. Thanks for the observations. Much appreciated and hopefully you will see some improvement in the future.

Top Bottom