Pots and Glaze

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Expected! And appreciated!
Unfortunately, I do not have much control over the time the pots are in the kiln since I do not have my own kiln. I did learn how to load the kiln yesterday so I am working towards that. The seems...I am working towards cleaning them up. Refining the pot is an art as well I am finding out. These pots will more than likely never leave AZ so do not have to be overly concerned about freezing. Thanks for the observations. Much appreciated and hopefully you will see some improvement in the future.

I figured that might be the case, been a while since my ceramics courses in college so I can't quite remember what the solution is to eliminate pinholes at a shorter time/lower temp, I usually work in the earthenware/low stoneware range myself so a lot of that high fire glaze chemistry stuff has been forgotten over the years. Still, nice work regardless. Can't wait to see how you grow and progress.

An olive I have been working on in a pot I made. Bonsai and pot at the same amateur level! Will improve in the future.

From one pot head to another : Isn't it sooo satisfying to use something you made with your own two hands? Makes all the work worth it IMHO. ;)

IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

Native low-fire stoneware clay amended with local (my backyard) iron-rich subsoil and reed ash (also from backyard/wetlands). Soda fumed in saggar of my "kuro-gama" style raku kiln to cone 04/cone1.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't it sooo satisfying to use something you made with your own two hands? Mak
I know right!
My goal is the trifecta!
Tree/Pot/Dia
Not many clay sources in AZ to dig.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not many clay sources in AZ to dig.

Only if you go at it with a western pottery approach with the mindset of mining clay. One thing I learned in Anthropology that helped me immensely with my earthenware, look to the first peoples in your area for clues.
The Ancient Zuni Pueblo and Hopi in AZ seem to have no problems finding clay/making pots. Look to them for guidance:

943886.jpg DP326498.jpg Hopipot-2.jpg three-southwestern-pottery-items.jpg zuni-polychrome-pottery-dough-bowl.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Az,

once an olive is happy they respond very well to grow and clip.
With a little time the trunk will take on mature features.

If you want a trunk more in the 1 inch trunk to 6 inch heigjht
ratio, I would suggest ground growing.
If you must have a tree in a pot, what we normally suggest is
about 5 mallsai.

The mallsai burns out the, I gotta have a bonsai bit.
Keep em comin,
They are good!!
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try raku at cone 010, and a stable boro-silicate frit.

Less chance of burning, with the tongs, and the frit is non-toxic.
Do have green tea in a favourite bowl afterwards and enjoy
Turkish Sweet Meats [ we call them Jub Jubs ]

Look for glaze effects like river rock finish, wax / candle,
stone type. Invent.
Good Day
Anthony - the pyro-maniac.

* you might enjoy Egyptian Paste
K re-designed the body for 010 and made it functional
as Bonsai pots.
80 to 90 % sand.
Also does great vases.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want a trunk more in the 1 inch trunk to 6 inch heigjht
ratio, I would suggest ground growing.

I have this olive more in line with your 1 to 6 ratio Anthony. Letting the roots develop a bit more since I just repotted in the basket.
20180627_080552.jpg
20180627_080805.jpg
20180627_080825.jpg

If you must have a tree in a pot, what we normally suggest is
about 5 mallsai.
Haha...I have plenty of those friend!

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Going to be doing raku in a couple of weeks. We normally fire to cone 10. 6 in some cases.

Guessing that's modern western style you're doing if it's fired that high? You using stoneware or porcelain clay?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is our regular kiln fired temps. Not even sure what the raku temps are. I am using Amador clay right now.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is our regular kiln fired temps. Not even sure what the raku temps are. I am using Amador clay right now.

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense now... Traditional (ancient/japanese) raku was fairly low fire in the earthenware range. Had to use really coarse gritty clay with lots of fine sand temper to withstand quick thermal expansion/contraction. Modern Western artists took this concept and ran with it back in the 60's and 70's and now use a lot of stoneware and porcelain clays to do raku at higher temps so they can get some dramatic glazes/finishes. I myself fire just a little bit higher than traditional temps just so I get a bit more sintering to create a slightly harder and more liquid resistant piece (that and my low fire sodium bicarbonate fluxed glazes need at least cone 06/1000C/1832F to dissasociate to supply the sodium to create glaze).

Fun fact, the first "Raku" potter was actually and earthenware roof tile maker before he was contracted to make teabowls. His family was given the name Raku, which is represented by a Chinese character meaning "enjoyment"

Technically, the only true Raku-ware is supposed to come from the Raku family line of potters, but we Westerners took the name to mean the process. Wonder how they felt about that?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We still use normal earthenware clay.
Enjoying the low fire, but added in modern science.
Lots of green tea and sweetmeats.

Got a great raku piece off of Ebay years ago.
The lady potter really knew her stuff.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom