Pots and headaches

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sometimes things don't go the way they should.

For my Pinus Cembra I was looking for a new pot for a long time. The pot that had caught my eye was a pot from the Austrian potter Horst Heinzlreiter. I have had some pots from Horst and I found the round pot with number 1480 particularly suitable for my tree. Only .... this pot was sold.

I have asked Mr. Heinzlreiter to make a pot for me similar to pot no. 1480.

In february of this year 'my' pot was ready, but I immediately got the message from Horst that more similar pots would come out of the kiln in short term. So if I was patient, I could choose the most suitable pot.
Wich of course, I did.
However, the pots that came out of his kiln were broken, so I ordered the pot that was initially made for me.
Unfortunately, that pot had meanwhile been sold to Ryan Neil. (I just heard today from Horst that Ryan bought this pot). On Ryan's website I did indeed see 'my' pot:

The pot has since been sold from Ryan's stock. Of course I asked Horst to make a new one for me, but the kiln is broken and Horst can no longer make his glazes.

I think there is little chance that I will get this pot back from the USA, but I definitly wil give it a try. Meanwhile, time is running out. I want to have the pots for the next spring on time. Now I have to look for a good pot at the last minute.
And any pot will be less beautiful than Horst's pot.
BC1480.jpgBC1630.jpgBC1630_2.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Damn dude.....sorry for your luck.
Maybe it's new owner will see this post and sell it to you.
That would be a happy ending to your story.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was reading patiently awaiting the happy ending...none. Sorry you lost that pot....and the other pot. I know the feeling from when I get my mind made up in a direction....and things just don’t happen as expected or needed.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Damn dude.....sorry for your luck.
Maybe it's new owner will see this post and sell it to you.
That would be a happy ending to your story.
Except it will be at least double the cost as it has passed through Ryan's hand.
Sorry the OP for not getting the pot made for him. That is life some time you have to accept it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @sorce I realy hope so! I even considered to sell my tree if I can’t find a pot that I like!

I can't recall any first pots that I like.
Many second or third pots.

Did we see the tree yet?
Can we?

Sorce

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The pot is indeed beautiful, but not beautiful enough to sell the tree because the pot was lost to you. There are so many wonderful potters that could make you a pot just as, if not more suitable than the Horst pot. In fact, I think a tree that mature deserves a pot with some age to it. There are MANY rustic round pots out there that would complete that tree.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I guess I don't understand something. That pot of Horst that you fell in love with...to me, yes, it has nice color and texture, but it is warped, or sure looks like it is. You're thinking it was built that way I guess. I'm thinking it could have happened in the firing process. To me there is to much to wonder about/question, and I would not consider buying it. I know, now I'm going to get yelled at. Maybe all of his pots have the warped look.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's kind of crappy that he sold the pot he knew you wanted while you took his advice to wait for the next batch. Not that I think he "owes you" but that's definitely not a very courteous move.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The King has no clothes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its kinda crazy the amount of "you snooze, you lose" that happens in this hobby, especially when you consider the timeframes we all think on when it comes to our trees. I'm sorry you lost this pot. These days, I tend to jump on the first thing that I see because I have literally picked up pots off of a sale table, looked at them, set them down and turn around to ask a friend what he thinks and when I turn back around they have been sold.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This isn't due to some bait and switch. It's just the way pot making goes and gets at why they're costly. The "broken" pots most likely broke in the kiln while being fired, broken can mean too warped, firing cracks, etc. that the kiln produces. There's really no extremely accurate way to prevent those losses. I've ordered custom pots from a number of potters, including Horst. All have been extremely professional and have made every accommodation they can.
I ordered a huge drum pot from Bryan Albright back in the 90's. He had to make the same pot three times to fill my order as two of the pots developed problems in the kiln. He lost money on the deal.

There are definitely other potters who can fill your bill--horst is great, there are others
Look around here for instance:

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
no @rockm I don't think anyone believes he got a bait and switch, but he could have held it knowing he wanted it until he knew the new ones would make it. After all from the OP it sounds like he commissioned it, because he had asked for a remake of a certain one. So why would he sell someone's custom commissioned pot? Without knowing the details of their conversation it is just speculation, but come on, that's basic decency. I don't tend to agree with the dog eat dog mindset much of the world buys into.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess I don't understand something. That pot of Horst that you fell in love with...to me, yes, it has nice color and texture, but it is warped, or sure looks like it is. You're thinking it was built that way I guess. I'm thinking it could have happened in the firing process. To me there is to much to wonder about/question, and I would not consider buying it. I know, now I'm going to get yelled at. Maybe all of his pots have the warped look.
I Like the pot the way it is. With a literati tree you need Imperfection. So, I don't mind it being warped. Intended or not.
A pot with some age to it would be great also.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Like the pot the way it is. With a literati tree you need Imperfection. So, I don't mind it being warped. Intended or not.
A pot with some age to it would be great also
The pot is warped INTENTIONALLY--that is part of what you're paying for and what you're after in a pot for a literati tree. Horst is a perfectionist and an expert potter--he doesn't make and doesn't sell sloppy stuff. Drum pots and "nanban" pots are often asymmetrical and odd, which makes them suitable for eccentric literati trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no @rockm I don't think anyone believes he got a bait and switch, but he could have held it knowing he wanted it until he knew the new ones would make it. After all from the OP it sounds like he commissioned it, because he had asked for a remake of a certain one. So why would he sell someone's custom commissioned pot? Without knowing the details of their conversation it is just speculation, but come on, that's basic decency. I don't tend to agree with the dog eat dog mindset much of the world buys into.
Having dealt with Horst in the past, I doubt he didn't extend a considerate option to the buyer...

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's kind of crappy that he sold the pot he knew you wanted while you took his advice to wait for the next batch. Not that I think he "owes you" but that's definitely not a very courteous move.

Wrong.

I don’t know either the OP or the ceramicist, but Horst certainly did nothing unprofessional or even uncourteous.

The OP made the decision to decline the option to purchase the pot. I’m sure the ceramicist does not have unlimited storage capacity. Of course he had to move it along once OP decided to wait.

If OP wanted the pot that badly, he should have purchased the pot when he had the chance.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
That's some tough luck my friend! I love the work that Horst does, and I was just looking on his site yesterday wishing there was more available there. Sounds like tough luck for him as well. Something to consider... Sam Miller makes some rustic pots with colors similar to the Horst pot pictured. I know you had your heart set, but hopefully the right pot will find it's way to you.

Top Bottom