Pots and headaches

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I don't understand something. That pot of Horst that you fell in love with...to me, yes, it has nice color and texture, but it is warped, or sure looks like it is. You're thinking it was built that way I guess. I'm thinking it could have happened in the firing process. To me there is to much to wonder about/question, and I would not consider buying it. I know, now I'm going to get yelled at. Maybe all of his pots have the warped look.
Look up "nanban" pots. They are a style of rustic drum pots that incorporate a lot of "imperfections" They are NOT easy to make. Also, Horst Heinzlereiter is one of the best bonsai potters working today. Old Horst pots sell for double to triple the original price...

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Having dealt with Horst in the past, I doubt he didn't extend a considerate option to the buyer...
Well, as I said. Without seeing the conversation it's all speculation. I didn't mean anything personal.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look up "nanban" pots. They are a style of rustic drum pots that incorporate a lot of "imperfections" They are NOT easy to make. Also, Horst Heinzlereiter is one of the best bonsai potters working today. Old Horst pots sell for double to triple the original price...
I very much agree with the part 'Horst Heinzlreiter is one of the best potters working today'.
On his website is a blue oval that is fabulous:
BC1509.jpg
It's really a pity he isn't making that much pots anymore.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, as I said. Without seeing the conversation it's all speculation. I didn't mean anything personal.
It's not hard to understand if you've worked with Horst. What he did isn't unusual for other potters either.

the way it works is that the "commissioned" pot isn't really "Commissioned"--which suggests it is a one-off, custom designed work. This isn't. This design is on Horst's stock list. He makes more than one of that style every so often. What happened here is that the buyer asked to have one made. Horst said he could do that, but had only one left. He told the buyer he was going to make more, which given the changeability and unpredictable nature of glazes, would offer the buyer more choices (and perhaps more attractive choices than having to settle for a choice of one. The buyer chose to wait.

Horst sold the existing stocked pot to someone WHO OPTED NOT TO WAIT for the wider choice of pots.

Unfortunately, the future pots wound up in the work room scrap bin as they had kiln flaws, and Horst's kiln went on the fritz afterward...Simple bad luck. Doesn't mean Horst is out of business and this pot design wont' be available in the future.

I would also point to the tree linked in this post. It is shown in a rather deep growing container. Unless the owner has worked that root mass extremely hard, fitting it into this small, shallow pot is going to take some know how and some luck.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's not hard to understand if you've worked with Horst. What he did isn't unusual for other potters either.

the way it works is that the "commissioned" pot isn't really "Commissioned"--which suggests it is a one-off, custom designed work. This isn't. This design is on Horst's stock list. He makes more than one of that style every so often. What happened here is that the buyer asked to have one made. Horst said he could do that, but had only one left. He told the buyer he was going to make more, which given the changeability and unpredictable nature of glazes, would offer the buyer more choices (and perhaps more attractive choices than having to settle for a choice of one. The buyer chose to wait.

Horst sold the existing stocked pot to someone WHO OPTED NOT TO WAIT for the wider choice of pots.

Unfortunately, the future pots wound up in the work room scrap bin as they had kiln flaws, and Horst's kiln went on the fritz afterward...Simple bad luck. Doesn't mean Horst is out of business and this pot design wont' be available in the future.

I would also point to the tree linked in this post. It is shown in a rather deep growing container. Unless the owner has worked that root mass extremely hard, fitting it into this small, shallow pot is going to take some know how and some luck.
I don't agree. It's not the way I do business, don't expect this from others.
I'll find out wether or not the tree will fit in this pot. There's one big root that needs to be shorted, I think it can be done.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't agree. It's not the way I do business, don't expect this from others.
I'll find out wether or not the tree will fit in this pot. There's one big root that needs to be shorted, I think it can be done.
You work with other potters? It's unfortunate the pots wound up broken, however, that unfortunately is a danger in having a pot made. The problem here is that the kiln is apparently down and has stalled new pots from being made. You would have had no issue with the pot being sold, if the additional pots weren't broken in the kiln and the kiln broke. Have you talked to Horst about other options?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess I don't understand something. That pot of Horst that you fell in love with...to me, yes, it has nice color and texture, but it is warped, or sure looks like it is. You're thinking it was built that way I guess. I'm thinking it could have happened in the firing process. To me there is to much to wonder about/question, and I would not consider buying it. I know, now I'm going to get yelled at. Maybe all of his pots have the warped look.
Look up the concept of wabi sabi. It is a key aesthetic concept for bonsai and it will help you understand the beauty of that pot

Top Bottom