Pots for juniper shohin itoigawa

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
p1240860.jpg 20170109_154001.jpg Hi all I've had this small tree now for over a year now and it's coming to the time where I want to give it its first styling but also it's first repotting since I have owned it. It is currently in the plastic pot it was imported in and I would like to give it a really nice pot except I don't just want to put it into the bog standard unglazed pot most conifers are in, i know they work and are very popular i just want some thing a bit different but still has to fit the purpose. what else may work any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The dimensions of the tree are 25cm tall by 29 cm wide and an inch trunk.

Last edited:

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I have found a company in the uk called Walsall ceramics and they make some good plane glazes that might work what do people think
thumbs_matt-black-glaze-2012.jpg thumbs_fudge-glaze-2012.jpg thumbs_red-brown-glaze-2012.jpg thumbs_snake-skin-black-glaze-2012.jpg thumbs_red-oxide-sooth-finish-2012.jpg thumbs_snake-skin-brown-glaze-2012.jpg
I was thinking getting a rectangular pot with maybe one of these glazes. What do people think would they suit the tree

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those are some cool pots!
But I would worry more about styling that bad boy, before selecting a pot.
I think it's a good time of year to wire up you juni and torque some branches!

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah I did think that's what most people would say style it then give it time to recover before worrying about the pot. Which is what i am going to do. But hypothetically speaking just out of curiosity would those types of glazes work with this tree as it does have a Dense strong coloured foliage so could pull of a more interesting glaze as long as it suits the colour of the bark and foliage

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah I did think that's what most people would say style it then give it time to recover before worrying about the pot. Which is what i am going to do. But hypothetically speaking just out of curiosity would those types of glazes work with this tree as it does have a Dense strong coloured foliage so could pull of a more interesting glaze as long as it suits the colour of the bark and foliage
I'd say yes....but I'm a little unorthodox.
I don't follow the "rules" about pot selection....if it looks good to me, it's OK, red, brown, tan unglazed, glazed, partially glazed...I don't discriminate.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How much time passed inbetween those two pictures? If you've had it a year I would assume a year passed, and if so, that's not much growth at all.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I may have to wait till February to style the tree as I would like some guidence from some one who can teach me to do it properly so I will book in for a session at my local bonsai nursery.
So just to add to my curiosity with the pot as when the tree is styled I will have it made by the pot maker.
Here are a few designs I was thinking of and I will ask them to make it to size and the glaze I choose aswell.
20170110_211537.jpg 20170110_211459.jpg 20170110_211642.jpg 20170110_211600.jpg 20170110_211624.jpg
I will probably go for one of these styles and the darker glaze from the pics earlier in the thread. What do people think of these designs which would you choose for this small shohin tree?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walsall makes beautiful pottery. I purchased a couple second hand, one is on loan to a friend, but regardless, high-quality pots.

Question, why remove the watermark from the photos?

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Some forums don't let you advertise so I didn't want to be accused of that. Im not sure if this fourm would allow it. even though I'm nothing to do with the company I didn't want to be cheeky.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah I know what traditional juniper pots are and what people normally use but I want something a bit different from the normal unglazed pot used.
thumbs_matt-black-glaze-2012.jpg
I think maybe this glaze.
With say this shape and style.
20170110_211537.jpg
like this would work with the bark and dark foliage that would be shown off just the same as the conventional unglazed pot.

But obviously I still don't want it to look stupid or miles out of place so all imput is welcome and I will take it all on board before making my decision.

Last edited:

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
^That one's my favorite out of the lot. I'd buy the pale yellow glaze too, I like those feet the best.

Disclaimer - I know nothing about pot aesthetics.

Reaction score
I think it would look beautiful in any natural color glaze. Brownish or Tan two tone. My personal opinion is that any un-natural color like red's or oranges will only distract from that gorgeous Itoigawa.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unglazed. That is the norm for juniper. The reddish textured unglazed burnished looking rectangle is the only pot you posted that I think would work really well with that tree...

You really should style it first though, that can tell a lot about the type/ shape/ size/ texture of the pot you need.

Are you planning some deadwood for that lowest branch?

Are you going to tilt it and make a semi cascade maybe?

The answers to those two quapestions could dramatically change the suitable pot for the tree. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Once the growth is thinned out a bit and wired, and we know where you are going with the style of the tree, recommendations can be made that actually fit your tree. As it is right now... the pot it is in is fine. A nondescript pot for an unstyled tree.

Great movement in the lower part of that trunk, has potential, just needs some love.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah honestly I'm a lot more patient than I make out lol and was not going to rush into anything with the pots I'm just excited but i agree that I will wait and see what we do with it when we style it at my go to bonsai nursery before I make my decision on pots and I can ask his advice on pots after that aswell also if I get the styling done before hand, there is a bonsai convention at the end of Feb in the uk and all the best ceramic and pot makers will be there so I could have a good look around then when I know what style the tree will be in going forward. Walsall ceramics were just an idea as there from the uk and they will make any pot to and specification I choose but they will take 6 to 10 weeks to produce it and there is no obligation to actually buy it after they have made it either as they can add it to stock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom