Pots for those that can not afford this hobby

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I love the pots folks are making, I love the art of it. I absolutely love pottery and the skill that goes into it. I also love bonsai. But I cannot justify buying pots, when I cannot even justify copper wire or buying the best soils. I litterly get to choose between saving for us, for the kids, helping our aging parents , or better preparing for the next thing that breaks (I tend to rotate). Better off then many, but that brings me back to pots.

for those of you that cannot throw much $$ at this hobby, what do you for pots?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where you from? If you’re in americaland then this will only cost 4 or 5 of your dhaluhrs, maybe less
I literally have this en route to me, bought 2 actually. It’s a decent pot, it just doesn’t have some fancy stamp that somebody famous made it

Attachments

• 458C0747-908E-439E-A74D-C8A6E6E14D9D.png
    458C0747-908E-439E-A74D-C8A6E6E14D9D.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 144
  • B46FC339-C2D0-4DAA-BD92-F97304B692FE.png
    B46FC339-C2D0-4DAA-BD92-F97304B692FE.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 162

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the pots folks are making, I love the art of it. I absolutely love pottery and the skill that goes into it. I also love bonsai. But I cannot justify buying pots, when I cannot even justify copper wire or buying the best soils. I litterly get to choose between saving for us, for the kids, helping our aging parents , or better preparing for the next thing that breaks (I tend to rotate). Better off then many, but that brings me back to pots.

While I understand the "pots are expensive" thing, thinking that decent bonsai pots is "throwing" money away is a bit short sighted. I put a kid through college, had to care for three aging grandparents, etc. However, I also managed to get a few decent bonsai pots along the way by looking around for used pots and talking with potters. The justification for buying them was they don't die like trees and will last (and even appreciate in value) longer than I will. Pots I bought back when I was 30 I have sold for three times what I paid.

Using a $10 pot ceramic cooking pot you got at a yard sale and drilled holes in is satisfying in a short-term "look I didn't throw $100 at a high end bonsai pot" kind of way. It's not very satisfying if you love bonsai, though. Half assed, repurposed "bonsai" pots remain half-assed and repurposed in perpetiuity. There are many potters out there who don't charge a lot. There are many sources of Japanese pots that don't cost much--hell I just got half a dozen 80's era Japanese production pots FOR FREE, just by keeping my eye out for them.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd recommend trying to join a club. Most clubs have auctions or sales where non-high end pottery can be sold very cheap.

Other than that, terracotta pots aren't expensive, aren't hideous and work well for bonsai.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Where you from? If you’re in americaland then this will only cost 4 or 5 of your dhaluhrs, maybe less
I literally have this en route to me, bought 2 actually. It’s a decent pot, it just doesn’t have some fancy stamp that somebody famous made it
Wow much nicer than 5$ I’ve gotten.
And there stoneware?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd recommend trying to join a club. Most clubs have auctions or sales where non-high end pottery can be sold very cheap.

Other than that, terracotta pots aren't expensive, aren't hideous and work well for bonsai.
Club is the way to go. Some members will GIVE you stuff they don't want if you're lucky and they know you. Clubs also have auctions --which are great sources of inexpensive, but pretty decent trees and pots.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you're developing material that isn't very refined or special yet, I find that the plastic training pots can be purchased for very little money and provide the right aesthetic. They are at least the right shape and have good drainage and feet.

If you have a tree or two that you're really proud of, those are the ones to save a little money to get something nice for.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Bonsai Outlet sells plastic pots, they even sell via Amazon for about $1.50-$2 a pot. After repotting the below juniper into one I actually really like them. Though I don't know how a few winters will go with them.

Attachments

• IMG_6717.JPG
    IMG_6717.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 124

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Online China Pottery sellers, buy the box of three or four in a set. Very economical, not high grade, but serviceable and reasonable aesthetic look. If you choose carefully can find darker tones and nicer styles with no script. A set of three recently cost me $35 CAD with wholesale discount the total came to $25.50 for the set. They are good sizes with appropriate depth for Bonsai and excellent drainage holes and wire holes.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 96

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are some plastic bonsai pots on etsy for as low as 5$ and some have free shipping.
very durable too, i have them of 3 of my trees.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On our side the 55 gallon plastic drums cost little.

Can be cut down to thirds.
The centre can have a screen re-attached.
This size is excellent for trunk thickening - Chinese elms, Celtis .....
Good Day
Anthony

* as usual, your labour cuts the cost.

Top Bottom