Pots for those that can not afford this hobby

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you looking for pots that look good displayed on benches or just grow out containers? Personally, for grow out containers I have had great look with scrap wood grow boxes mentioned earlier, and many of my club members use cheap colanders or pond baskets for trees in development on the ground. I keep lots of my trees waiting for bonsai pots in terra cotta bulb containers, which are cheap and easy to find at nurseries in the beginning of Spring. However, my climate here in TN is likely much milder in the winter than yours in Maryland, and terra cotta doesn't do well with lots of freeze/thaw action.

Bulb pots look fairly decent though!
IMG_20180624_092343.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention: back when I wasn't into bonsai, I was a regular visitor to the local garden store for nutrients and whatever else.
I asked them what they did with leftover nursery pots and everything damaged. It turned out they trashed them, so I politely asked to talk with someone that managed the stocks. Turns out he is a bonafide plant lover and he just wants people to have as many as they can. He gave me a free pass to dumpster dive, as long as I asked him before I did so.
I didn't have to buy a single pot in 4 years. After some time he even offered to take me to his wholesale place to let me snoop around. I never took up that offer, but you might land a sweet deal if you try.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh I forgot to mention: back when I wasn't into bonsai, I was a regular visitor to the local garden store for nutrients and whatever else.
I asked them what they did with leftover nursery pots and everything damaged. It turned out they trashed them, so I politely asked to talk with someone that managed the stocks. Turns out he is a bonafide plant lover and he just wants people to have as many as they can. He gave me a free pass to dumpster dive, as long as I asked him before I did so.
I didn't have to buy a single pot in 4 years. After some time he even offered to take me to his wholesale place to let me snoop around. I never took up that offer, but you might land a sweet deal if you try.

In the US, both Lowe's and Home Depot have recycling racks for 1020 trays/flats, nursery pots, or whatever people bring in to recycle. I browse past every time I'm there and snag anything that I think would be useful. These are perfect for cuttings and projects that just don't need a "real" pot yet.

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I go to Goodwill Stores a lot and have found many pots and saucers etc, that work great for bonsai. Usually about a dollar for each one. Retired here, so have to watch spending too.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t feel that a tree in training really needs a top quality pot. If you aren’t going to show your tree yet, what is wrong with a junker pot. A pre-pot for a pre-bonsai? Maybe by the time you have a tree ready to show you will have gotten a few nice affordable pots. I would certainly never let pots stop me from enjoying bonsai.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have to say I am the one with the most trees intended for bonsai with the least bonsai pots. I bought a few along the way but most of mine are in terra cotta, pond baskets. Nothing serious at this time so not in a bonsai pot is much better for the trees. I see myself switching from pond basket over to terra cotta in the next few years as they look more pleasant for the eyes.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Use anything until you think you have a tree that deserves a decent pot. That’s my plan. There are some excellent suggestions for acquiring proper bonsai pots, but if you only have sticks to put in them then i’d wait ‘til you can justify it.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the New Folk,

started Bonsai with my cousin [ nickname - brother-in-law ]
at 16 /15 as an observer, I have zero artistic ability, so I took
many art appreciation classes in the U.K.

I am 56.

So with that much time, I can suggest many solutions.
Time to us has no meaning.

Wanted you to understand.
Good Day
Anthony

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've found good to excellent quality, inexpensive bonsai pots on Craigslist, Ebay and Facebook. Also at estate sales and at a nearby Habitiat for Humanity ReStore location. Most recently, I met a past president of the PA Bonsai Society who was selling many of his pots on Facebook that were very reasonable. I also use plant pots that look similar to bonsai or penjing pots and drill drainage holes in them. Pass the word to friends, colleagues and family what you are looking for. Sometimes the pots find you! Good hunting!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Sorce, Do any potters offer workshops? Is there a potter's guild directory to find local potters? Thanks!

I don't know of any Bonsai potters specifically, but local shops/clay distributers usually hold workshops.

There are good resources on FB to find these things. Clay Buddies group is great.

Sorce

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd recommend trying to join a club. Most clubs have auctions or sales where non-high end pottery can be sold very cheap.

Other than that, terracotta pots aren't expensive, aren't hideous and work well for bonsai.
I agree with NY, joining a club can be a great source and way of getting nice pots etc. through club raffles and sales. I usually buy twenty dollars in raffle tickets and walk out with 2 to 4 pots, trees etc. for only $20

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know of any Bonsai potters specifically, but local shops/clay distributers usually hold workshops.

There are good resources on FB to find these things. Clay Buddies group is great.

Sorce
Thanks! I've been considering making a pot or two. No wheel or kiln in my basement though. I've had the honor of knowing the late Bea McLaughlin. She was our pottery teacher in high school and a well known artist/potter in the Philadelphia area. The cat figurine in this photo was made by her. My cheers to all potters!

Now my suggestion on the original topic: This is a paint that closely replicates the dark brown color of unglazed bonsai pots. The finish and color is 'satin espresso' and the paint bonds extremely well to terracotta. Give it a try if you want to change the appearance of homemade containers.
P1010223.JPG

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it worth, Mayco or Duncan make a glaze caled
- Garden glaze.
A porous fired glaze.
Good Day
Anthony

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
10” terra cotta bulb pans with wiring holes and notches for airflow are clutch.

Top Bottom