Pots for those that can not afford this hobby

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Verti-Patch - concrete patching compound for thin, vertical patches in concrete - is a cement-polymer blend that will work well for home made concrete pots. There are multiple brands & trade names, they will all mention vertical patching for concrete.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
In the US, both Lowe's and Home Depot have recycling racks for 1020 trays/flats, nursery pots, or whatever people bring in to recycle. I browse past every time I'm there and snag anything that I think would be useful. These are perfect for cuttings and projects that just don't need a "real" pot yet.
They do?!?! I’ve never seen them! (Headed to Lowe’s and Home Depot)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I spent $25 dollars yesterday when I found these on FB marketplace. They’re mass produced junk pots except for the hull the lady had drilled out but still decent looking for a piece you want to look nice. Most of mine are in tubs from warehouse club stores plastic bulb pots or training pots. But I’m new and don’t have anything worth showing yet. 84053E94-5ED5-43AB-A673-798D5295ECBE.jpeg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you got all of that for $25, you did REALLY good. You can get some nice ceramic bowls at the various "dollar stores" and all they need is a couple of holes drilled in them with a carbide hole saw.......probably about $10 on Amazon.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If you got all of that for $25, you did REALLY good. You can get some nice ceramic bowls at the various "dollar stores" and all they need is a couple of holes drilled in them with a carbide hole saw.......probably about $10 on Amazon.
Broke my heart when I found out that she’s sold dozens of creams, blues, etc, her tools, most of her trees, and other supplies at those kinds of prices before I found the post. She had moved from bonsai to succulents

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Trent, keep looking . You'll eventially find pots everywhere. Let people know what you're looking for. I'll bet you'll come home to pots on your front porch. Don't get to thinking that you need to have a "real" bonsai pot. All kinds of containers work for bonsai.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Trent, keep looking . You'll eventially find pots everywhere. Let people know what you're looking for. I'll bet you'll come home to pots on your front porch. Don't get to thinking that you need to have a "real" bonsai pot. All kinds of containers work for bonsai.
I did a cypress log as one already! Looking at my other cypress logs now as well. Lmao

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
eBay is all over the place but there are definitely some deals to be had there. I just bought 3 handmade bonsai pots yesterday.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How would I go about joining a club? Is it a facebook thing or how do I get into one? The Toronto Bonsai Society is the closest to me I think but I am unsure of how to 'Join' the club.

Also adding to this conversation of what i've been doing, looking on kijiji for cheap pots that old collectors don't want anymore, and sometimes if your extremely lucky you can find good quality, and bad quality pots in thrift stores like value village.

Top Bottom