Pots from the Shohin Seminar

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I began purchasing pots for the exposed root elm semi cascade trees I am growing. They will be ready for pots in a few years and having them early allows me to work towards the image I wish for the pot.
These are the six I procured at the Seminar. Two of the pots were generously given to me by Peter Macaseib (Maria Kapra). I was able to get the low down on the use of the user name "Maria Kapra". It seems that when Peter was in the Philippines he saw this band alot there playing in night clubs as well as Arnel Pinada of the Zoo, who would later move on to front the American band Journey. When it became time to use a username for BonsaiNut, Maria Kapra was the name he used. Easy peasy.

The two pots I recieved from Peter. Thanks so much Peter I will put them to good use. All of these pots are about 3 inches in diameter and about 2 to 3 inches tall. The first one from Peter is about 5 inches across and about 1 inch deep. Probably use it for a maple or similar.

d3.JPG

d2.JPG

This one is a Kouso. Wife of Koyo
a.JPG

Sara Raynor
b.JPG

Chinese
c.JPG

Some cat from back East named Sonny Boggs.
d.JPG

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the matte one, also that last one looks very interesting coloring, i guess i like them all :)

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
a-jpg.94426
Nice! I love this pot.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I love this pot.
I had a good long talk with Donald about that trident maple you purchased. He told me he went home Sat night and brought it back Sunday. You got that for a steal.

We won't let that happen again will we Donald. You owe me....I gave you your start with a grant from GSBF...remember..?

Me, Donald Hoseington, Ted Matson, current GSBF President that year, and Joe James, immediate past President of GSBF .

DSC_00021.JPG

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had a good long talk with Donald about that trident maple you purchased. He told me he went home Sat night and brought it back Sunday. You got that for a steal.

We won't let that happen again will we Donald. You owe me....I gave you your start with a grant from GSBF...remember..?

Me, Donald Hoseington, Ted Matson, current GSBF President that year, and Joe James, immediate past President of GSBF .

View attachment 94552

This post is so confusing. Is this an inside joke or are you attempting to intimidate? I don't understand the relavancy. I feel like there's a piece of information missing to understand the content of this post. Was it wrong for him to buy the tree? Should he have paid you instead? Does someone owe you money? In the words of Donald Trump, we need to figure out what is going on.

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had a good long talk with Donald about that trident maple you purchased.
Following up on my shopping habits? I'm . . . flattered . . . I think . . .
He told me he went home Sat night and brought it back Sunday
That's what I figured; pretty sure I would have noticed it earlier otherwise - In the right place at the right time.
You got that for a steal.
That's why I bought it!
We won't let that happen again will we Donald. You owe me....
Keep an eye on your kneecaps Donald!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, does this mean I own a tree that @Smoke would like to own?!
.well.....NO! I have so many fat maples right now and I am going crazy trying to find training pots for them. Larger glazed pots are really hard to find here. Of course they are around at the conventions and I am sure that when of the maples really gets ready for a nice pot I will have to purchase one of those expensive bastards.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I began purchasing pots for the exposed root elm semi cascade trees I am growing. They will be ready for pots in a few years and having them early allows me to work towards the image I wish for the pot.
These are the six I procured at the Seminar. Two of the pots were generously given to me by Peter Macaseib (Maria Kapra). I was able to get the low down on the use of the user name "Maria Kapra". It seems that when Peter was in the Philippines he saw this band alot there playing in night clubs as well as Arnel Pinada of the Zoo, who would later move on to front the American band Journey. When it became time to use a username for BonsaiNut, Maria Kapra was the name he used. Easy peasy.

The two pots I recieved from Peter. Thanks so much Peter I will put them to good use. All of these pots are about 3 inches in diameter and about 2 to 3 inches tall. The first one from Peter is about 5 inches across and about 1 inch deep. Probably use it for a maple or similar.

View attachment 94431

View attachment 94430

View attachment 94426

Sara Raynor
View attachment 94427

Chinese
View attachment 94428

Some cat from back East named Sonny Boggs.
View attachment 94429
All beautiful... The first one might be my favorite. I am really a fan of funky glazes right now, and that one is unique! Stark color changes, no attempt to subtly blend or make an oil slick, just a bold combo that looks good IMO.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
.well.....NO! I have so many fat maples right now and I am going crazy trying to find training pots for them. Larger glazed pots are really hard to find here. Of course they are around at the conventions and I am sure that when of the maples really gets ready for a nice pot I will have to purchase one of those expensive bastards.
That's a fair point. When the time comes, I may have to spend as much or more on a pot as I did for the trunk. For now, it went into a mica trainer:
image.jpeg
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/upgraded-trident-maple.22131/

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Joe! Joe gave me a couple of steals last year, too.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would really like to have the Chinese one in a bigger size;).

Top Bottom