Pots made/making

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, new ? Very impressive and I love the diversity in texture and shape. They are all incredible and the third one from the top is very interesting and beautiful! What kind of glaze did you use on that third pot?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may be new to bonsai pots but I doubt you are new to pottery. Nice job but a bit small.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work. Like the clays and ideas. Also great to have a good potter in the region.

However, practically, some of those will be difficult to use with an actual tree. Size aside (and they are very small for a tree--more likely good for kusamono), the incurved rims on some of them would make repotting a problem, as well as making them vulnerable to freezes.

Incurved rims that come back over the interior of pots obstructs removal of thickened tree roots. A tree that is put in easily doesn't come out so easily after three or four years of root growth. Additionally, if the pot is overwintered with a tree and soil outside where it is exposed to freezing weather in the winter, it may crack. The force of freezing soil as it expands inside the pot pushes up underneath the rim. Freezing water can crack granite, it has no problem with doing the same with ceramic.

zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You may be new to bonsai pots but I doubt you are new to pottery. Nice job but a bit small.
Thanks so much- it’s been 6 months I’ve been taking classes at a studio and I’m starting an internship soon there! Very excited to learn everything I can about operating a studio and getting better at pottery and bonsai pots

zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work. Like the clays and ideas. Also great to have a good potter in the region.

However, practically, some of those will be difficult to use with an actual tree. Size aside (and they are very small for a tree--more likely good for kusamono), the incurved rims on some of them would make repotting a problem, as well as making them vulnerable to freezes.

Incurved rims that come back over the interior of pots obstructs removal of thickened tree roots. A tree that is put in easily doesn't come out so easily after three or four years of root growth. Additionally, if the pot is overwintered with a tree and soil outside where it is exposed to freezing weather in the winter, it may crack. The force of freezing soil as it expands inside the pot pushes up underneath the rim. Freezing water can crack granite, it has no problem with doing the same with ceramic.
Thanks Rock, yeah I’m totally aware about the incurve and appreciate the feedback- most of my pots don’t have any incurve for this reason, such as this small unglazed pseudo bag style pot, which has no incurve, it just looks like it does. I’ve made sure the incurve is subtle enough it can still be worked with a potters sickle easy enough. Good point though

Top Bottom