pots positioning/layout

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the next few months my trees can't be outside at all because "Error404: Outside not found"

i do have a tall window facing west so the only sunlight i can get my trees in is afternoon sun, i know it's not ideal, but it's all i've got for now. so i'm deciding to get a stand/shelf to utilize my floor space better.
according to my awesomely drawn picture below is how i reckon my heat/UV zones will work out
Untitled.png

so what i'm asking of you fine people is if i have the right picture in my mind that the toughest trees go at the bottom, and the more sensitive ones get placed at the top? the room is closed off so is not really affected by the AC in the rest of the house

Untitled02.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't shade out "Lord have Mercy", but you can always shade out "Lord have Mercy".

Sorce

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce I’m thinking my spekboom or olive could go down there, I was supposed to list what I’ve got at the moment

Rosemary
Spekboom
Marula
Black monkey thorn
Olive
Ficus
Holm oak
Lemon
Ginkgo
Kumquat
Bougie

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
afternoon-only window sun is pretty lackluster from what i know, id try to get them as close as possible to the most light there.
supplement with LED lighting perhaps as well or you might lose trees.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
+1 for supplemental lighting. I read an article somewhere that dove deep into the research and they concluded that it's a great idea. What about getting some shade cloth and covering the bottom shelf area with it?

Also if you want to over-engineer things, you could get a small clamp fan pointed at your lower shelf and plug it into a cheap smart plug, set fan to Low, and have it turn on only during the hottest part of the day. That way, along with shade cloth, your tree won't get too much sun or too much heat. You'll just have to stay on top of mistingScreenshot_20210713-091147_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
afternoon-only window sun is pretty lackluster from what i know, id try to get them as close as possible to the most light there.
supplement with LED lighting perhaps as well or you might lose trees.
I could also buy 2 shelves and only put trees on the bottom 2 shelves, then I can get more trees in the hell zone.
Also, I’m literally on the tropic line, even evenings and early mornings don’t drop below 30, and afternoons are literally the worst time to be out

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I could also buy 2 shelves and only put trees on the bottom 2 shelves, then I can get more trees in the hell zone.
Also, I’m literally on the tropic line, even evenings and early mornings don’t drop below 30, and afternoons are literally the worst time to be out
could be fine then

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because I'm new to bonsai, and may be moving in the future, I've gotten the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens Growing Bonsai Indoors 2013 -- so that's where my info is coming from:

Sun/lights can be boosted with reflective materials around and underneath, such as plain white cardboard or Mylar sheets, and by painting the walls white.

Some of you species are featured in their profiles (doesn't necessarily mean the rest won't cope) -- so you can relax a bit, I hope!

Rosemary😀
Spekboom
Marula
Black monkey thorn
Olive😀Black Olive, European Olive, Tea Olive
Ficus😀
Holm oak
Lemon
Ginkgo
Kumquat😀
Bougie 😀

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we’re drifting off topic here, I don’t want to add more light, I wanna arrange my trees in such a way that the existing rays doesn’t kill them

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The rays won't kill them, windows block light (more or less depending on type). If you're worried about heat, add a fan or something.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So all my sticks are almost too tall, still working on reducing some of them, 2 of which are still in large pots. But at least there’s some floor space

Attachments

• F2FCE736-B1FB-4177-89A2-C4C6427FB155.jpeg
    F2FCE736-B1FB-4177-89A2-C4C6427FB155.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 8

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can't get too much sun through glass (for most species), only too much heat. UV doesn't pass through glass, only IR does. If you're not paying for the heat gain (for air conditioning), the whole solution is fans big enough to move enough air and/or pots big enough to hold enough moisture. Right?

Top Bottom