pots with critters

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
It was suggested in another thread that we might (just for fun) start a thread with pots that have "critters" on them.....so in the spirit of Christmas...let's share,

Attachments

• IMG_2784.JPG
    IMG_2784.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 50

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.

I was offered a Japanese made 4" pot a few months back with a crab chop mark. I foolishly didn't take it (I didn't see me using a 4" pot) and to think it was only for $10.00 :(

View attachment 29063

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I seen the title of this thread I assumed it was about insect infestation, lol. Pots with critters....

ed

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
One morning, a few years ago, I was moving trees around very quickly on the bench for some photos, snapped everything I needed, then went in and downloaded them to my computer.

Scrolling through the photos, I noticed I had inadvertently pinned down and killed a lizard, whose front half was protruding out under the side of the pot...eyes closed, mouth open, legs out...perfect photo. At about the same time, my daughter noticed it and came running in screaming.

i looked but couldn't find the photo...may have deleted it...may have been for the best.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
frog

One morning, a few years ago, I was moving trees around very quickly on the bench for some photos, snapped everything I needed, then went in and downloaded them to my computer.

Scrolling through the photos, I noticed I had inadvertently pinned down and killed a lizard, whose front half was protruding out under the side of the pot...eyes closed, mouth open, legs out...perfect photo. At about the same time, my daughter noticed it and came running in screaming.

i looked but couldn't find the photo...may have deleted it...may have been for the best.

I did the same with a little green frog. I felt pretty bad about it. Luckily my two girls weren't around. :(

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I would think there might be a few dragons out there from Chinese pots...hey this has been fun, thanks to all who contributed....:)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I won at auction this 21 anniversary pot from Walsall Studios.

This one by David Jones

Attachments

• DSC_00160003.JPG
    DSC_00160003.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have several pots with dragons on them, Chinese, Japanese, and unknown origin. By far my favorite is this one of mine from Peter Krebs:
20120228-155412.jpg
Though pots by Yamasyou come in second:
20120705-095334.jpg
20120705-100019.jpg
And Zeshin third. I like them, but sometimes they're too weird even for my shelves!
dsc_2485.jpg
Nice little red crab on this guy here.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Then there are painted and glazed pots with critters.
I really like Ogurayamas carved, painted, and glazed pots.
ogurayama.jpg
This one I'm actually selling for a friend.
20120313-210022.jpg
Itoh Gekkou and Fujikake Yuzan often paint pots with critters on them:
20120619-172532.jpg
20120619-174431.jpg
20120810-135916.jpg
Ryan

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And this one was the one that got away. It was just too damn expensive for me at the time. By my favorite contemporary Japanese potter of glazed pots, Shigeru Fukuda, of the Bushuan kiln. There's a whole bunch more about him on the website in multiple posts. This is the only carved pot I've seen by him.
20121222-102328.jpg
Ryan

Last edited:
Top Bottom