Pots with holes and pots with no holes

Kae

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently bought a few used pots, but they don't have any drainage holes in them. What are your opinions on that?

Must one always have holes or do people sometimes use pots without holes? If so, in which cases?

Thanks, I'm new :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No holes is not good for any plant. I have some houseplants that will die much faster than some bonsai without proper drainage. There are a lot of obvious examples if you think about it.
Buy some diamond hole saws on Amazon and use them properly. There is a lot in the archives here on the subject.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

If you control water I think there are a number of things you can find suitable for them, just not trees. Accent plants sure!

Sorce

Kae

Seedling
Reaction score
This is what I thought. Thanks for confirming. I don't know why they would produce this kind of pot, probably some very low-quality production.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is what I thought. Thanks for confirming. I don't know why they would produce this kind of pot, probably some very low-quality production.
I use pots without holes for houseplants, and so do commercial florists.

The plants are in cheap plastic production pots that go inside a nice looking pot with no holes, it keeps any moisture off of store shelves and furniture.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are harder to use outdoors than indoors because of rain, and only usable if you can meter the water the way the plant needs it. Some plants are more problematic than others, but it won't work with bonsai mixes that are fast draining because the water will go straight to the bottom and puddle at the bottom of the roots. With a media that wicks water throughout the pot verses a bonsai mix of rocks, you can find a watering schedule that works. You will need a moisture meter to figure out what that schedule is because most plants (but not all) need a wet, dry, wet, dry cycle and that cycle depends upon the plant and its environment: thick waxy or thin leaves; the volume of the pot verses the size of the plant/foliage; still air or lots of sun affecting evaporation verses transpiration, et al. Lastly, are you skilled at looking a plant and recognizing the signs of too much or too little moisture before you damage it?. In a nutshell, pots without drain holes are not for the uninitiated.

You can drill (bore a hole) yourself. See this thread.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Mason bit. Problem solved. Buy all the cheapo no drainage pots you want :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bonsai pots without drainage holes are known as suiban. They are usually large and flat and are designed to display rocks or sand. Suiban can also be used under a rock planting. When filled with water it gives an island in the lake or sea appearance and the water can help maintain the plants living in pockets on the rock.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mason bit. Problem solved
If you don't care what the hole looks like, and if the pottery material is soft enough, mason bits will work. But it is a bit like using a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail. Mason bits will not drill through stoneware and if you manage it you ruin the bit. Mason bits will not touch porcelain.
The diamond core drill bits on Amazon are cheap and will drill anything and will last for years .... if you treat them properly.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Even if you could figure out a schedule to water the tree/drain hole free pot combo so as to not waterlog the soil, I would figure the eventual salt build up in the soil would be extremely problematic. Personally, I'd skip drilling holes and just look for cheap Chinese ware pots that were fired with adequate drainage holes already there... life is too short ;) .

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently bought a few used pots, but they don't have any drainage holes in them. What are your opinions on that?

Must one always have holes or do people sometimes use pots without holes? If so, in which cases?

Thanks, I'm new :)
A pot with no hole is a bowl in my book.......

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you don't care what the hole looks like, and if the pottery material is soft enough, mason bits will work. But it is a bit like using a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail. Mason bits will not drill through stoneware and if you manage it you ruin the bit. Mason bits will not touch porcelain.
The diamond core drill bits on Amazon are cheap and will drill anything and will last for years .... if you treat them properly.
I concur, diamond coated hole saw is the way to go to make a hole in a bowl.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
If you use a proper bit, I would start to drill on the side that will be viewed if I remember correctly. When it breaks through a little bit of chipping happens. I have had success with ceramic glaze, but it’s a bitch. Plan on tossing the bit after a few holes.

Top Bottom