Potsofgreen 2020-25 azalea contest entry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here she is in all her glory. Its a satsuki "Suzu Special" it's supposed to get all 6 flower variations of the "Suzu" all across it. It already has a 3 inch nebari! I wont expose my secret on how I got this stock to start with but I did let it leak out on the original thread for this contest ;) Cut back hard and placed in a makeshift green house. I'm not worried about flower buds this year and I wanted to clean her up and see how well she responds for a possible repot late spring this year. I'll probably be leaning towards a triple trunk design in the future, we shall see. Happy new years everyone!

IMG_2868.JPGIMG_2873.JPGIMG_2888.JPGIMG_2889.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2905.JPGIMG_2906.JPGIMG_2911.JPGIMG_2913.JPGIMG_2917.JPG

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
you had flowers in januari on this?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Since when do azaleas bloom in January?

You have the nerve to post pics of an azalea blooming in January and then doing a trunk chop at the same time?

Where's your integrity?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
you had flowers in januari on this?

Since when do azaleas bloom in January?

You have the nerve to post pics of an azalea blooming in January and then doing a trunk chop at the same time?

Where's your integrity?

😅 oh man sorry guys but living in Southern California has its perks sometimes. However I got this from Nuccio’s which should be only 45 minutes away from me and actually took me 2 hours each way with traffic so you have to pick and choose your battles out here 😓

Reaction score
😅 oh man sorry guys but living in Southern California has its perks sometimes. However I got this from Nuccio’s which should be only 45 minutes away from me and actually took me 2 hours each way with traffic so you have to pick and choose your battles out here 😓
Still... lol.
I'm thinking of chopping and reporting, and then bringing my entry in side and adding it to my grow light collection lol

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
So I take that as a yes? I was just wondering if that’s normal for you. I have a rhododendron that’s blooming at the moment since already a few weeks. It wasn’t supposed to do that until March at least. Azalea usually doesn’t bloom until may for me though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I take that as a yes? I was just wondering if that’s normal for you. I have a rhododendron that’s blooming at the moment since already a few weeks. It wasn’t supposed to do that until March at least. Azalea usually doesn’t bloom until may for me though.

Yes it had leftover blooms still going but not it’s peak bloom season, I have a Camilla that’s about to bloom already

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whoa, this trunk is already huge. Going to watch this one! But the competition is about how much it improved from first post to final display, right? :)

And also SoCal, so it will grow for 10 years worth in 5 as well...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Any updates?

Yes its doing extremely well, havent been logged in here in awhile but here are some pics from a repot in april, Ill take some pics of it currently it has formed a nice dense canopy.

I basically cut half the root ball off, it was in a cut down 5 gallon container and now is in a cut down 2 gallon container. As you can see from the pictures there was a branch that self layered so i saved it and planted in a neagari shohin fashion (first time doing that). Planted the main one a bit deep with plenty of soil on top to develop an even better nebari. It will stay in this new pot all of next year as i branch select and grow out and then will get cut down into a bonsai training pot spring of 2022... both the mama and the baby are doing great and ill update this with some current pictures soon.

IMG_3558.jpgIMG_3563.jpgIMG_3566.jpgIMG_3568.jpgIMG_3569.jpgIMG_3571.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Top Bottom