Poultry Grit w/ Calcium

Ed_Merc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm considering switching to poultry grit as my potting medium. I can get it here at a ratio of 90% granite and 10% calcium. Will this much calcium cause a problem?

Thanks,
Ed

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds to me that it is probably ground oyster shells and should be avoided. Clean poultry grit is usually made up of crushed granite which is free of calcium.

Ed_Merc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ah, yes. I seem to remember reading that any type of shell should be avoided because the calcium would detrimentally change the PH level. I guess I should avoid it.

Thanks

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The worse mistake you can make in bonsai is cutting corners on soil. Buy the best you can afford and give your plants a fighting chance.

Harry

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I made the switch to Akadama this year, and man there is a difference. I don't know what they put in that stuff but geeze my trees have taken off. I think I've got more growth in the past three weeks than all of last spring. I'm using 1/3 akadams, 1/3 paver sand, and 1/3 Spagnum Peat Moss for diciduous and 1/2 akadama, 1/2 paver sand for conifers. Big difference than my Turface, Lava, Pine Bark Mix. I can't believe the results. Definitely a difference in surviving and thriving.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
He means buy some Akadama.

WRONG!

Granite is an inert material used for drainage and thus does not retain moisture, while Akadama does retain water/moisture.

I believe ground up oyster shells are a little less expensive as grit than granite. For the poultry industry it is desireable as it is my understanding that it helps produce better shells.

FWIW, Walter calls Akadama poison.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I understand what the grit is. I've used it. I still have some as a matter of fact, but I did not get the kind of growth I get with Akadama and sand. I guess it works fine though. Use it. I got my current mix from a guy who has some of the best bonsai in the US. It works for us I guess. Try your own. It's fine, but use the granite and not the oyster shells.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Is granite a "cut corner". I'm not sure what to make of your comment.

I use Pumice, Volcanic Rock and Akadama (but only the high fired stuff) for my conifers. I live in a hot dry climate and I can water as often as I want because of the excellent draining properties of that mix. I really can't say what it would do for D trees, as I have no experience. Walter is right about the standard Akadama, it's way to soft and breaks down and smothers the roots.

Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
WRONG!

Granite is an inert material used for drainage and thus does not retain moisture, while Akadama does retain water/moisture.

I believe ground up oyster shells are a little less expensive as grit than granite. For the poultry industry it is desireable as it is my understanding that it helps produce better shells.

FWIW, Walter calls Akadama poison.

Oyster shells will raise the Ph of you soil and that is the opposite of what you want if you are talking about most bonsai.

Harry

Top Bottom