Powder on crabapple leaves

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,
I tried to look for other posts but I couldn't understand!
Can you guys have a look at this photos and tell me what that powder is?
If I pass my finger over it, some will go some will stay...can you please help me?

I also noticed that the tips of the leaves are getting yellowish!!? I think you can see that from the photos!!

Thanks in advance
LucaSt

Attachments

• caIMG-9810.JPG
    caIMG-9810.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 47
  • caIMG-9809.JPG
    caIMG-9809.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 47
  • caIMG-9808.JPG
    caIMG-9808.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 45
  • caIMG-9807.JPG
    caIMG-9807.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 40

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
As @NOZZLE HEAD said it looks like powdery mildew. I’v been treating some roses in my garden for it. They were staying too damp and weren’t getting enough sun. Roses are very susceptible to mildew.

Looks the same as my roses did/still do. Try the bicarb suggestion and if it doesn’t work get a powdery mildew treatment.

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Cool!

Thank you very much for your reply guys! I’ll give a go at bicarbonate and see how it goes!

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Do you think something like this would do?

Attachments

• pb.png
    pb.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 30

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah I read to mix a tablespoon in a gallon of water! Thanks for the advice though!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you watering the leaves when watering the tree? If so, try to just water the soil... it should help prevent in future.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to state where you are so others experienced in your local weather can better advise you. Mildew, and every other disease is endemic to Malus. Soap Shield is good for what ails them. Some newer varieties are more resistant and you'll get tired of spraying after a few years.

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I did, instead was in another post! Sorry, I live in the UK, in London.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Hint: when the Roseclear Ultra you've ordered arrives, look at the label.

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes indeed I will!
Anyway, I was advised to use the RoseClear on the oak, but being still stressed (probably) not to use it yet, and see if it will get better, otherwise go with chemicals.

Instead for the Crabapple, being under stress as well, but infected by mildew, I was planning to use Potassium Bicarbonate that I think is less "invasive" than RoseClear ultra?!

Thanks again guys!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@LucaSt, @SeanS raises a good point. Crabapple is in the rose family. Everything in the rose family seems susceptible to pathogens etc., and many hate wet leaves.

One consideration regarding anything in Roseaceae is morning sun. For example, all of my trees are on the western side of my home. While they get adequate sun, dew and any moisture will remain on the leaves much longer than ideal as the sun has to go over my home before hitting foliage. Because of this, deciduous trees more vulnerable to leaf issues I've placed much farther from the house in order to get the earliest morning light possible.

LucaSt

Seedling
Reaction score
Cool.
I will keep them in the best position as possible where they can get better sun in the morning!

thanks Jim

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you click on your Icon on the upper right corner of the screen and fill in the location, it will help others in future discussions.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a problem with powdery mildew (if that is indeed what you have) in my yard, especially with crabs and maples, though mine typically hits in August and Sept. Once it's on the leaf, it's nearly impossible to get rid of. Prevention is the only way to control it, with a diligent fungicide program. The good news is, it rarely kills your tree. It can weaken it though, and leave the plant open to other diseases like leaf spot.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Milk works too as a prophylactic
This is a hardcore myth in the cannabis world and it's been busted more than once. Out of the 120 cases we documented, and the 10+ years I've seen people try it, it didn't work a single time. I've tried looking for scientific research, maybe there are some sugars that mildew can't process, maybe it's the bacteria, maybe the inhibitors that milk contains, maybe the steroids, the pH.. But I've never found a single document, paper or review that mentioned anything useful if it even was described at all.

Best to get that sky cleared up before it takes hold in the bonsai world as well. It's a waste of good milk, and ants as well as multiple fungi do love the sugars that milk contains.

I'm a firm believer in household science and I'm a great fan of DIY solutions, but milk vs mildew just isn't one of them.

Top Bottom