Power Tools

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
I went looking at Die Grinders today and picked up a few at the store only to find that they are too heavy for my old chainsaw worn out elbows. I think a Dremel type thing would be too small and take forever for what I want to do carving wise. Any suggestions for something between a full size grinder and a dremel? I've used Dremels extensively in other hobbies so I am familiar with it, I just think I am going to need something a bit more destructive for what I want to do.

Last edited:

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I can't find bits for the dremel that would do the damage for me. I have two of them already. all the bits I see in stores won't fit my dremels so I was looking into something that would accept the bigger bits.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A Dremel can do a lot for me usually....as long as I let the bit do the work and don’t force it. I....try.....to let the tool do the work. My Dremel is a model 4000. I also have a similar size cordless tool I use when I’m a distance away from a plug or working on detail....I like that the cord is not in my way as I move around.

When you say the die grinders are to heavy...are you talking about Makita or Dewalt or is there a bigger grinder you’ve examined?.....so you’re looking for something to fit the larger 1/4” but shafts?

Attachments

• 061F907E-0998-4CA6-ACCB-2F8702B7091F.jpeg
    061F907E-0998-4CA6-ACCB-2F8702B7091F.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 9

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You might need to reevaluate how you think about using die grinders. They are really two handed tools. One hand supports the bit end and acts as a pivot while the other directs the tool. Watch Graham Potter videos and you will see this.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
seen it all and know how to use it. After picking one up for the first time in quite a while I know I can't do it anymore. The one I looked at was at Harbor Freight probably a knockoff Makita.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Nice and all but a bit pricy. Maybe I should just sell off the trees instead. I can't inflame the tendonitis or whatever is going on with my arms and I can't afford a car payment for a backyard hobby so I guess I will skip it. Thanks all.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not know what you have in mind. I have the nibbler for my makita. But I am going to get some for my dremel too, so I can leave the big tool packed more often.

www.bonsainibbler.co.uk

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went looking at Die Grinders today and picked up a few at the store only to find that they are too heavy for my old chainsaw worn out elbows. I think a Dremel type thing would be too small and take forever for what I want to do carving wise. Any suggestions for something between a full size grinder and a dremel? I've used Dremels extensively in other hobbies so I am familiar with it, I just think I am going to need something a bit more destructive for what I want to do.
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been searching for something cordless, not specifically for big carving jobs . But would like to be able to do a small uro without an extension cord. I recently returned a cordless dremel micro 8050. It just underpowered in my opinion. I wonder if the makita cordless would be any better?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have the GD0601 Makita. The list weight is 3.7 lbs. I don't find it to be a problem if used two handed.

It looks like the GD0603 Makita is about 2.1 lbs. It is 2.2 amps vs. the 3.5 amps of the 601 so it will have slightly less power. Both are around $100 and worth the price in my opinion. It looks like both can be found at Home Depot.

The Harbor Freight one is listed at 3.6 lbs. I've never really liked the Harbor Freight power tools though. For about $50 more just go with a Makita.

I've been searching for something cordless, not specifically for big carving jobs .

I generally avoid cordless. There is nothing worse than getting half way through a job and having the battery die. I just keep a 50' extension cord in my tool bag. Unless you like to work in the middle of the woods I have never had a problem about finding a place to plug the cord in.

It looks like the weight of the cordless Makita is actually more than the corded version and it cost more.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have the GD0601 Makita. The list weight is 3.7 lbs. I don't find it to be a problem if used two handed.

It looks like the GD0603 Makita is about 2.1 lbs. It is 2.2 amps vs. the 3.5 amps of the 601 so it will have slightly less power. Both are around $100 and worth the price in my opinion. It looks like both can be found at Home Depot.

The Harbor Freight one is listed at 3.6 lbs. I've never really liked the Harbor Freight power tools though. For about $50 more just go with a Makita.

I generally avoid cordless. There is nothing worse than getting half way through a job and having the battery die. I just keep a 50' extension cord in my tool bag. Unless you like to work in the middle of the woods I have never had a problem about finding a place to plug the cord in.

It looks like the weight of the cordless Makita is actually more than the corded version and it cost more.
Exactly. Buy the right tool for the job... the Makita or similar with the right bit will easily do the job and last for decades.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

If weight is a prime consideration the Auto Mach HCT-30 is 1.75 lbs. It also features a reciprocating blade feature for special effects carving as well as the rotary bits. accepts 6mm shank. Available through Amazon, American Wood Carving etc. The aluminum body keeps the weight down and i have found it has plenty of power. I have been using mine for over five years with no concerns to date. Plenty of optional bits and attachments to choose from various manufacturers. As previously pointed out they are not cheap, they generally run around $300.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Have you looked into air tooling at all? The tool end on an air grinder will be significantly lighter without sacrificing power. But you will have to deal with the compressor/hose infrastructure (which can be its own hassle, depending on where you want to work).

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you looked into air tooling at all? The tool end on an air grinder will be significantly lighter without sacrificing power. But you will have to deal with the compressor/hose infrastructure (which can be its own hassle, depending on where you want to work).
I would suggest trying an air tool setup before purchasing for Bonsai carving. I had all the air equipment and thought it would be a good idea as well! I found that it was very noisy ( compressor cycling ) and deposited some oil on the wood when being used! Most air tools require frequent oiling to maintain performance. One also needs to be sure to drain moisture from the lines, filters etc during use, particularily if living in a very humid area. The air hose is a bit cumbersome and adds to the weight when articulating around Bonsai.
One advantage is the power for removing greater amounts of material in the rough stages! Also suggest effective hearing and face guard protection.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To my knowledge, Dremel doesn't make a nibbler bit. I just checked their web site and didn't see one listed.
Check the link for the nibble. It is a handcrafted carving attachment from the UK. They have the large scale ones, but also thosefor dremel..

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
If you can’t handle the torque of a full sizes die grinder but yet want more power then a dremel.
Look at a foredome good power and low torque.

Top Bottom