Practical aspects of air layering below multiple branches (to create a clump)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am very comfortable with air layering, but have always done on a branch where there was enough space above and below to use the usual technique (plastic wrapped around branch, filled with spagnum moss and tied closed at the top and bottom). I want to layer the tree pictured below at the point indicated however, in order to create a clump style. I know where I need to remove the ring of bark, but how to I close the top of the plastic wrap to seal it to keep it moist?

Apologies for the stupid question, but I can't work out how to do this practically. Do I need to use a plastic pot, cut to fit around the branches or something rather than a plastic wrap?

maple.jpeg

Thanks!

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s probably easier to use a pot there.
cut a plastic pot and slip it around the trunk, make sure your cut ring is in the middle so it will be covered with substrate, wire it back shut and stable, fill with sphagnum, or soil, or a mixture, and keep it moist until it’s full of roots.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@source has a super secret, patented and trademarked method with a catchy name that I have forgotten.
there are posts that illustrate the means and methods with some detail.
good luck

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s probably easier to use a pot there.
cut a plastic pot and slip it around the trunk, make sure your cut ring is in the middle so it will be covered with substrate, wire it back shut and stable, fill with sphagnum, or soil, or a mixture, and keep it moist until it’s full of roots.
Got it - thanks! A pot it is then.

I’ll have to be extra vigilant to make sure that it doesn’t dry out.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pot layer is fine when the subject can be watered as necessary. Plastic wrap is designed for plants in places where watering regularly is not practical or on horizontal branches where the soil will fall out of an open pot.
Use a split pot for this one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pot layer is fine when the subject can be watered as necessary. Plastic wrap is designed for plants in places where watering regularly is not practical or on horizontal branches where the soil will fall out of an open pot.
Use a split pot for this one.
Thank you!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pot layer, and secure it by attaching wire from the plastic pot to the upper branches. Two season progression!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-083504_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-083504_Instagram.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220415-083515_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-083515_Instagram.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom