• Practical, since they aren't going to make it anyway

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a call this morning from my friend at the cemetery. He was told to remove a couple of yews that I had previously expressed interest in. He asked if I wanted to dig them up rather than him just yanking them with the chain on his backhoe.

Well, I had my morning planned out already and couldn't get over right away. Also, it has been a very dry August here (less than 2" of rain all month). Add to that that today was a miserable hot/humid day and even in the best of conditions, wouldn't be a great time to collect. These were in full sun BTW.

I thanked him and asked him to go ahead and yank them as usual. He was nice enough to wrap the trunks with a towel so the bark didn't get chewed up, and dropped them in the shade and even watered them.

I picked them up about 3 hours later. Here they are.yew1.jpg
This first one has some roots and an interesting trunk.
yew2.jpg
This one has almost no roots, but some nice weathered bark.

I did a quick triage and chopped off a fair amount of foliage. The 1st bush is before chopping, 2nd bush I had already chopped. I sealed the wounds and put them in the ground backfilled with potting soil.

I haven't been having good luck lately potting up collected yew, so I thought this was best.
CW

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully the grave digger saved them yews! I guess you will really see how they are in the spring, for now they get rnr. Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Practical.

If they make it they make it.

I got mine from a hot garage being out about as long, it was pretty dry but it is pushing new growth.

My last one did too though.....
And it died.

But I got this one in the shade, feels better.

Keep it shaded...and in its winter grounds already.

I think you'll be ok.

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Protect well this winter from really cold temps and keep a good eye on them and I bet they make it - yew's are pretty tough

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got a free yew at my local nursery several years ago. Walking thru and saw an old yew on the trash that had been dug out of an old landscape. Came back fairly quickly and I kept cutting it back whenever it put out a new bud lower on the branch. So I say have fun!

Top Bottom