Prairie State Bonsai Show in Illinois this weekend

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone in the Chicagoland area checked out this show so far this weekend? We went today, and were most impressed. Some of the displays left a bit to be desired in previous years (trees on tables by the windows, with some glare and distractions from outside), but they really did a great job this year! Nearly all the trees were setup on high tables away from the windows, with nice backing and accent plants. They had a good variety of trees, and encouraged visitors to vote for their favourite tree.

It's a small show, but still worth a visit. The bonsai vendors had a decent selection, too. I also attended the afternoon demonstration where one of the members worked on a large pine. That was quite informative, and the crowd seemed engaged and could follow what the presenter was doing.

The show is held at Morton Arboretum, and runs all day on July 16th-17th. I'm hoping the continued success of the show will encourage the Arboretum to one day acquire their own collection and give the Chicago Botanic Garden some friendly competition ;)

jmuzzey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I would have known about this, I would have loved to have gone

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
jmuzzey: There's always the August show (19-21) at the Chicago Botanic Garden. That's a huge show, probably one of the biggest in North America. There's also two courtyards of vendors, and a bunch of great workshops on offer. Check out the Midwest Bonsai site for more info: http://midwestbonsai.org/augworkshop.html

jmuzzey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, I will be going to the show at the botanic gardens. I have been there a few times in years past, but have not gone to a show for the last 5 years. I am not involved in any clubs, and just enjoy Bonsai and have a handfull of trees that I care for. I am looking for some new material to work on and some supplies. Plus the displays are excellent there, and the people are great too.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
AKNicolle: I've never been to the Botanical gardens one. Does it have more substancial stuff? I didn't see anything worth getting at the Arboretum one.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure does! If you can't find anything that interests you on offer at the August show, you're not looking hard enough. The vendor list is on the Midwest Bonsai site mentioned previously. They have everything from small accent plants, pots and tools, up to huge and/or hugely expensive trees. The hard part is deciding what you can fit into your budget. I get most of my trees at the workshops or from the vendors at the May and August shows.

Top Bottom