pre bonsai Mark

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is my opinion after seeing how big/small the tree is for the price.
Size isn't the issue with the price. Big trees are no more expensive, or less expensive. It is about the initial development of this tree--nebari, branch placement (selection) ramification, etc. It was grown by someone who knows how to grow bonsai stock. That skill is what you're paying for not size.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess just want my opinion be heard? Carry on
Then, perhaps it would be better to say it’s out of your price range if others are BINing them. If no one buys them, then they’re overpriced.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When I was just starting out... we'll say within the first 5 years of entering the hobby, so over 20 years ago... I thought any tree over a certain price tag was "overpriced"- probably around $150 or there abouts. This opinion was most definitely formed and fortified by my relative inexperience and cheapness. Over the years since my beginnings here, I've come to accept that age and quality comes with a price. Would I spend $225 for those trees listed now? No, because I've got plenty of trees of higher quality.... but if I didn't... ;). Life is too short and bonsaiing at a high level requires either time or money... luckily, you have a choice.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Overpriced! Again who am I to say since that is the amount people willing to pay.

A couple of quick points. Just because it is $225 BIN doesn't mean anyone is going to "buy it now". The current auction price is $110.

The whole point of this thread, when talking about Mark, is that he does amazing pre-bonsai work. You cannot compare one of his trees, cutting grown, with established radial nebari, amazing taper, and great branch structure, to a run-of-the-mill Japanese grafted maple in a nursery pot.

You have to understand WHY this tree is worth $225... instead of just dismissing it because you don't understand it. You are paying that money to get multiple years worth of effort... assuming that you even know how to develop squat taper like that in a Japanese maple which is NOT easy. I am not trying to take shots at you as much to say - if you think you can make this tree for $225... do it :) I can't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21616

Pretty sure the rir are grafted.

when they are, i've seen him point it out in his advertisement. i have also seen him say that the Rhode Island Reds are for 'porches' sooner than bonsai, or something like that, in his advertisement

the kiyohime and kashima i have from him are not grafted

Top Bottom