Pre-Bonsai Shaping Ideas

Migs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have a pre-bonsai rusty fig... it has an interesting v shape trunk. Would love to get ideas on how to shape this tree. Thank you.

20220121_152856.jpg

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m new to Bonsai, so don’t listen to me.
But here’s what I see.

Maybe I’m on the right track, maybe not.
I’m sure someone will point you in the right direction and I’ll learn something too.

Attachments

• DC1471A1-8683-49E2-9725-0DE9D0402790.jpeg
    DC1471A1-8683-49E2-9725-0DE9D0402790.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 111

Migs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. New as well and my eye went to that curve exactly. I was just wonder if that was wrong to get rid the trunk after the split.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you. New as well and my eye went to that curve exactly. I was just wonder if that was wrong to get rid the trunk after the split.
Well we are either both right or both wrong haha

Here’s what I was thinking I’d do right now.....
I’d go ahead and remove that left trunk fork and get some putty on it.

Wire the trunk all the way up to what would become your new leader and then remove that stub and little branch to the right of the new leader.
Try to get some more leftward bend in the trunk at what would become your first branch.

The second branch from the bottom on the right would become your first branch. Just wire it down horizontal.

The lowest branch on the right you could leave as a sacrifice branch to add thickness to the trunk then remove it later.

You’d have a nice S curve in your trunk, your new leader established, some decent taper, and your first branch established.

Then just let it flush out with new growth this season and it’s well on it’s way!

...but again, don’t listen to me because I’m new. But that’s how I’d attack it, right or wrong.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Make a cutting out of that little stub on the left, new tree!.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's no problem removing any parts of this fig. If it is rusty fig that should be Ficus rubiginosa which is an Aussie native and extremely hardy. They will sprout new shoots reliably from bare wood after major cut back if needed and are fast to grow and develop. Also cold hardy down to around freezing but probably best indoors in winter.

This fig is young so you can develop almost anything out of it.
Retain both trunks to develop a twin trunk tree.
Remove either trunk for a single trunk bonsai. Remove the smaller, left side for a taller bonsai or remove the taller right side to start developing a shorter, fatter trunk.
Adjust planting angle for an upright trunk and use grow and chop to thicken the trunk and develop branching.

Not sure about the s shape in the virt. That's not the way I see large, old ficus trunks in nature. It is something we do see in mass produced mallsai so it appears that beginners associate s shaped trunks with bonsai. If you really want a tree that shape feel free to do it but most experienced growers would avoid that shape when possible.
There's a quote attributed to one of the earlier US bonsai teachers encouraging us to make our bonsai look like trees rather than making trees that look like bonsai. My guess is he was referring to S shaped trunks when he said it.
For inspiration search online for pictures of large ficus trees to see what shapes they naturally develop and look through pictures of bonsai ficus (ignore all the mallsai ginseng ficus!) to see what other experienced growers develop and what looks good.
The good news is that Ficus rubiginosa can develop into a strong and impressive trunk in just a few years if you provide plenty of fertilizer and reasonable conditions.

Migs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for all the ideas... I am thinking I will try for a a twin trunk - mainly because I never done it and I think the ficus has a a base trunk that forks out. I think I can maybe do a mother / daughter but the lower branch might be a bit too big. Here's what I am thinking now:

shokan.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How big do you want the final tree to be? Do not be fooled by bonsai with high levels of fine branches and small leaves. OFten, these might be bigger than you would assume from pics..

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How big do you want the final tree to be? Do not be fooled by bonsai with high levels of fine branches and small leaves. OFten, these might be bigger than you would assume from pics..

Good article. Being the total noob that I am, I guess I never really thought about that.
Hard to tell in pics without a frame of reference.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The twin trunk plan will work but I think the main trunk needs to be more upright. Replant at around 25 deg left at the next repot to make the main trunk more dominant.
twin ficus c.png
Actual angle may be dictated by the roots but don't be frightened to remove a few to make the change provided there are more below on that side.
Change of angle may make the terminal shoot on the smaller trunk useful. The smaller trunk could probably grow a little more toward the dominant trunk for better flow.
Right branch marked red will Probably need to be lowered even further following change of planting angle. make other adjustments to branches and leaders as necessary to match whatever new angle you end up with.

Top Bottom