Pre Bonsai - Trident Maple - Front selection

Shan Anand

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So I have this pre-bonsai trident maple for a couple of years now. I have a hard time deciding what should be the front for the tree. I would appreciate some input from you guys..

Attachments

• 20151220_124917.jpg
    20151220_124917.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20151220_124926.jpg
    20151220_124926.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 20151220_124936.jpg
    20151220_124936.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 150
  • 20151220_124947.jpg
    20151220_124947.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 152
  • 20151220_124957.jpg
    20151220_124957.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 144

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All those branches in the middle of the trunk are causing it to swell. It's just about impossible to fix that type of situation.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is great info on picking a front....

The good stuff starts around 30min.

I agree with Vin on the chop.
Pretty nice base though!

Sorce

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make that 3 for a chop. Unless you're going to do root graphs listen to what the nebari is telling you

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From what I can see, pics one or two for best front. But as vin stated, you need to chop this thing, to develop better taper and new branching. Try to build it from the ground up. I have a few tridents I'm working with but don't have much long term experience development wise. Check out posts from Smoke and his blog for lots of trident related info.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Image 2 looks like your best bet, but then a chop may bring a new leader that changes that notion.

Shan Anand

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks for all those valuable inputs guys.. So if I need to chop, where should I begin?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So if I need to chop, where should I begin?

I'd get it into good soil in the spring...
And a colander.......

Maybe cut off a lot of those branches in the middle....but find one you can train up...and still make the chop with a good transition.

Maybe?aviary-image-1450668379553.jpeg

I think leaving the top on for a year to jumpstart good rootgrowth isn't going to kill you.

But I'd find the new leader....and clean out everything else right there.
But leave the top top for repot power!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This piece of material has not one redeeming factor for being a great bonsai. I would enjoy an argument so anyone want to shoot out something great about it?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
something great about it?

Four for the price of one.

- It is a great species
- It is alive
- Many tridents start bonsailive as a stump, as they can grow very fast
- It can bring hours of working with the tree
- It can become a learning/teacher tree to the OP

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most important of all...it has the potential to be worked into a great tree in time. Perfect example to start off with. I would love to have it...;)

Shan Anand

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks, Sorce for those suggestions.. Thanks to Smoke, Leatherman and Fredman too for the inputs..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i. I would enjoy an argument so anyone want to shoot out something great about it?

It belongs to Shan Anand....
Which is one of the coolest names to say.

Shan Anand......
I forgot! Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Most important of all...it has the potential to be worked into a great tree in time. Perfect example to start off with. I would love to have it...;)
Why? What do you see in this tree? Make a virt and show us.
What would your plan be to get it there? What challenges come with achieving this plan? How long will it take?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would your plan be to get it there? What challenges come with achieving this plan? How long will it take?
Hi BvF, if you don't mind... Could you perhaps do the same? I would be keen to learn from your angle of attack.. how you would handle this. (Please don't say, I would give it away and get another plant!)

SGF

Seedling
Reaction score
I agree that this would be quite a challenge to ever transform into a great bonsai, but maybe the O.P. would be happy with a very good, good, or even a decent bonsai trident. I could be wrong (you know what they say about assuming), but from the O.P.s post count and the question that he is still looking for the front of the tree (after a couple years) I would say this person is not looking to put this tree in a national show five years from now. Many people in their early years of learning the art and horticultural science of bonsai are just happy to be working with material with a caliper greater than a pencil. They look at the posts and the pictures of the handful or two masters on this forum and appreciate the input To help them learn and improve. And maybe it is better, if the O.P. is still a seedling that he or she is not learning on a national arboretum caliber tree.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would try a V cut perhaps on this tree, and turn it into broom style. Right where all those branches are already. Doubtful that this tree will ever be a masterpiece, at least not for a long long time, but I have one that I've been developing that is similar, and it has taught me a lot about "doing".

Top Bottom