Pre-bonsai unknown species

Altariel17

Sapling
Reaction score
I picked up this little plant recently, but I don't know what species it is. The label on the pot only said "pre-bonsai." I decided to take a chance on it because it looked cool. I'm hoping someone can help me identify it so I can take care of it properly.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170702_101407.jpg
    20170702_101407.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20170702_101358_Burst01.jpg
    20170702_101358_Burst01.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 121

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some closer up pics of the leaves, older and new leaves. And the tree in general, will probably help.

Will help others, I can't personally ID trees, not knowledgeable enough for that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks a ground cover.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Seriously Altariel? The photos are not detailed enough to even determine if the plant is a tree or a vine or a ground cover. Whatever it is it is probably an indigenous species to your area and you would have a better chance of identifying it by taking it to a nursery and asking them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't tel from the photos. If you got it at a nursery as "pre bonsai" it is probably a tropical. I highly doubt someone is selling native AZ species as bonsai material.
BTW, it looks like its a variegated form of whatever it is--which means the leaves have light spots. However, it also looks like those leaves are getting sun scorched...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I highly doubt someone is selling native AZ species as bonsai material.

Total off topic side note but you could not be more wrong on this count Rock... My experience over the past 20 years is that many Desert Southwest natives make fine bonsai. Heck, we have at least 5 native gojis and three hackberrys just off the top of my head.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to say Snow Bush. I have one in my front yard that looks really similar. The more sun it gets the more pink it turns. Not sure about bonsai potential but it makes a pretty bush.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Total off topic side note but you could not be more wrong on this count Rock... My experience over the past 20 years is that many Desert Southwest natives make fine bonsai. Heck, we have at least 5 native gojis and three hackberrys just off the top of my head.
Not what I said. I said it's highly unlikely a nursery was selling a native species as pre-bonsai. If they are good for them.

Bonsai_Jon

Sapling
Reaction score
Maybe a manzanita bush. Though they like hot and dry, so I don't know if they'd be up by you.

Altariel17

Sapling
Reaction score
All this talk of AZ made me realize I hadnt changed location in my profile since I moved. AZ to northern MN is a pretty big switch! I have a couple of ficus and an orchid that made the trip with me and are doing well. My serissa on the other hand...well, it was a serissa.

I put the snowbush in a bigger pot (sliped it out of the old into the new without messing with the roots) and its been looking good.

Top Bottom