PRE ORDER SALE! Coarse, Calcined Diatomaceous Earth

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here it is folks gonna dive in! Price will be $29 for a Large Flat Rate Box (shipping is included) no limit until the truck drops it at my house. Then the price will go up. Some orders are already in, a few more and we will pull the trigger!

[EDIT] As of 1/9/2022 this link is no longer good... so I am deleting it [/EDIT]

20171229_221221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Remember to use the coupon code "DIRTBOX" like dirtbag only more square...

If you have questions message me on here I will see it.

[EDIT] bad link removed [/EDIT]

BTW no other coupons will work with this order.

Last edited by a moderator:

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I wish you had these up a month ago! I finished most of my repotting already so I won't be able to try it out. If you still have it in future seasons I'll place an order.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I wish you had these up a month ago! I finished most of my repotting already so I won't be able to try it out. If you still have it in future seasons I'll place an order.

I know... I am way late for us in warm weather. However, if it continues on this way, I will likely continue to carry it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ordered. I know there have been some threads extolling the virtues of DME, but can you summarize how we might include it in our mixes.. Would it replace pumice or akadama in a Boon-ish mix? I still have some calidama that I got in a flat-rate shipping box that I've been mixing in.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Ordered. I know there have been some threads extolling the virtues of DME, but can you summarize how we might include it in our mixes.. Would it replace pumice or akadama in a Boon-ish mix? I still have some calidama that I got in a flat-rate shipping box that I've been mixing in.
It would be the akadama substitute. It's the CEC component that will help retain fertilizer and give it to our plant.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Okay, folks got it ordered! Now I need to put my engineering skills to work and make dispenser like they have in grocery stores for coffee beans! LOL

The site is confusing a bit, PM me with the total cost for the free shipping amount, if it is what I think it is I will ask you to invoice me as usual, etc... :)

Grimmy

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The site is confusing a bit, PM me with the total cost for the free shipping amount, if it is what I think it is I will ask you to invoice me as usual, etc... :)

Grimmy

It will be a straight $29 a box so just let me know how many you want and I'll shoot you an invoice. :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It will be a straight $29 a box so just let me know how many you want and I'll shoot you an invoice. :)

No problem but I need a small amount so it is 3.5 at 29 hit me up!

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry one more "soil wars" like question, but this doesn't breakdown like akadama does right? Any purpose of including pumice in the mix, or would this pretty much work as pumice or akadama? Properties sound similar to cali-dama, correct? In practice I'll likely be using a little bit of each, just curious as to your thoughts.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Sorry one more "soil wars" like question, but this doesn't breakdown like akadama does right? Any purpose of including pumice in the mix, or would this pretty much work as pumice or akadama? Properties sound similar to cali-dama, correct? In practice I'll likely be using a little bit of each, just curious as to your thoughts.

LOL you can message me as well. If you have seen unfired DE, it is likely more similar to akadama in that it can smash between your fingers when wet.

This product is Calcined fired in a (rotary kiln) not just dried so it is much harder than unfired DE. However, it is unlike any other component in a number of ways. First, it holds it's weight in water. It holds more than any other inorganic substrate by far. Also, it has a CEC that is higher than that of akadama. Pumice does not have a great CEC value. Cali-dama is broken up California Hardpan which according to The University of California Cooperative Extension, Sacramento County, "Hardpan is rock and neither roots nor water can penetrate it." So it's really nothing like DE.

It likely has value to use Lava or Pumice if you have it on hand. It's not necessary, however. I typically use a blend of DE and lava that I get from sifted cactus soil. Believe it or not you can't get any decent aggregates in bulk in Vegas.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Nope. they carry stall dry which is clay.

WELL ....... After this tennis tournament i am working I may just head out to Vegas for a weekend(my girlfriend has been wanting to go) and if you want I can throw a few bags of Stall dry in my trunk for you. That's if you want any pumice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, got it calidama is more like akadama looking scoria, and the C.D.E. Is more like akadama Great, thanks! Looking forward to adding some C.D.E. In the mix.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wear a mask when using calcined DE! Unfired DE has a very low percentage of crystalized silica. It's mostly amorphous silica which has a lower toxicity when airborne because of the very low content of crystallized silica. When DE is fired, calcined, it is mostly crystallized silica which has a much higher toxicity. Yes, you're not receiving dust-sized DE, but granules abrading each other will produce dust.

Just an FYI

Top Bottom