Preferred species for Penjing and Bonsai in China?

pale_blue_is

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

While learning more about this subject I've come across a wide variety of species that are traditionally used in Asia, but most seem to be rooted in the Japanese approach, and are from such a breed. These trees include:
- Japanese black pine
- japanese red pine
- japanese maple
- japanese juniper (apparently closely related to the Chinese juniper)
- japanese white pine
- japanese larch
- Japanese holly
- japanese elm
- japanese hemlock
- Japanese azalea
- japanese cedar/cryptomeria
- hinoki cypress

It seems that there is quite a bit of crossover with species, esp since quite a few Japanese trees actually have a foothold in mainland China. Nonetheless, some species with a name indicating Chinese origin I've heard mentioned include:
- Chinese elm
- chinese boxwood
- rhododendron simsii
- Chinese wisteria
- Chinese pepper tree

And a few trees that blur the borders:
- Trident maple
- ficus
- ginkgo (i believe they're naturalized in Japan but I'm not sure)

That being said, I don't know exactly what is traditionally used for Penjing, specifically, what people are stuffing into those Shanshui man-made mountains. Are they mostly junipers or a mix of species? This photo here from Wikipedia shows someone holding a small fruit tree. Have penjing practitioners not been historically as focused on evergreen species as their Japanese compadres? Do they have a preffered pine species for example, or are they much more flexible in this regard?

Thanks. I've been watching, enjoying, and learning from the rock planting videos of Masahiko Kimura and wanted to learn more (I know his approach is Japanese in origin but it's hard to find anything on YT that doesn't look like it'd be sold dead on sale in a pool store) https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCbF-l9bb2veRvn3wEZfs3QA/featured

Last edited:

Peterk21

Seedling
Reaction score
Depending on the region (like in Japan), there are many different species used in China such as bougainvillea, ume, forsythia, persimmon, podocarpus, chinese quinces, orange jasmine, and various ficus species

Top Bottom