Preferred Spider Mite Spray...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi all,

After trying predatory mites and getting just about nowhere, it's time to move onto some sprays that can kill the spider mites and the eggs. So, from those of you who have used a spray to kill mites, what do you recommend? I'd like to not have to order it online, and it's going to be used on my Ficus, indoors. I'm tired of battling them and want to get rid of them once and for all. Any suggestions?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Okay one more time (posted this 10 times I think)...milk & water in equal parts plus 2 squirts of dishwashing liquid in a liter of water.

Cheap & harmless...but no one wants to try because it is cheap and harmless. :rolleyes:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Okay one more time (posted this 10 times I think)...milk & water in equal parts plus 2 squirts of dishwashing liquid in a liter of water.

Cheap & harmless...but no one wants to try because it is cheap and harmless. :rolleyes:

I've tried this route several times with no success, which is why I'm asking for a better approach.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dario- shouldn't that work n scale as well? I have heard the dish soap thing for scale in the past... Just found a couple on a Trident today.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've tried this route several times with no success, which is why I'm asking for a better approach.

That's weird...in my 2.5 years, I only had 2 spider mite problems. Used this and they are gone.

Ben (beng) have a program he recommends. Check his posts about it. Good luck!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's weird...in my 2.5 years, I only had 2 spider mite problems. Used this and they are gone.

Ben (beng) have a program he recommends. Check his posts about it. Good luck!

Indoors is a totally different thing though. I'll continue scanning the web.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Indoors is a totally different thing though. I'll continue scanning the web.

FYI I'm having issues as well and started the thread rob/october linked. The All Seasons is working for me, I'm guessing because its a suffocant and not a chemical miticide the little cretins can build up an immunity to.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oooo that oil does look good. I had bad luck with oils in the past, but that was when I used them in the heat of the summer, not indoors. I don't like how it's a concentrate and not a ready-to-use product though, as I am always afraid of under mixing the stuff, or over mixing it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

Well no, I just wouldn't use it because it wouldn't kill the eggs and I'd have to continually spray down the trees every week or so.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've also had luck with the bonide all seasons oil, for both scale and mites (and I have used it on ficus without noticing any problems). I think if you use it indoors, make sure to ventilate the room well as you shouldn't really be breathing the fumes. Don't apply on hot days to plants in full sunlight.

Chris

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've also had luck with the bonide all seasons oil, for both scale and mites (and I have used it on ficus without noticing any problems). I think if you use it indoors, make sure to ventilate the room well as you shouldn't really be breathing the fumes. Don't apply on hot days to plants in full sunlight.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I would apply it outside since tomorrow is supposed to be a warm day. Leave the trees outside for a few hours, then hose them off before bringing them back in. Clean up the room in the mean time.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I had a nasty infestation of the mites end of last summer, I tried all types of potions and incantations and none of it worked, ended up losing part of one of my favorite cascade azaleas. I finally purchased some miticide. I used Avid, followed by Forbid a couple of months later, and then used Bayer three in one (I think that is it, the one that contains a miticide). I am now mite-less. They were everywhere, azaleas, junipers, serissa, etc. I know that there are some that don't like to use chemicals, but I don't like trying all of the non-leathal ways and watching my trees slowly decline and die, as with the azalea. When it comes to spider mites, it is time to break out the heavy-hitters and nuke them.

John

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario- shouldn't that work n scale as well? I have heard the dish soap thing for scale in the past... Just found a couple on a Trident today.

Eric,

Sorry I missed this.

I am not sure. Haven't tried it on scale but will next time I see some. I know it works on aphids. From what I was told, the lactic acid eats through their exoskeleton.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Well no, I just wouldn't use it because it wouldn't kill the eggs and I'd have to continually spray down the trees every week or so.

These are contradicting...did you or didn't you? :confused: I told you before...be a man. Do what you say and say what you do. ;)

I treated mine only twice each and honestly, I do not even know if I needed the 2nd. It is that good. Try it or not, no difference to me. Your loss not mine.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
These are contradicting...did you or didn't you? :confused: I told you before...be a man. Do what you say and say what you do. ;)

I treated mine only twice each and honestly, I do not even know if I needed the 2nd. It is that good. Try it or not, no difference to me. Your loss not mine.

I've used it, and I'm saying the reason people may not want to is because it won't kill the eggs. Simple as that.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I would apply it outside since tomorrow is supposed to be a warm day. Leave the trees outside for a few hours, then hose them off before bringing them back in. Clean up the room in the mean time.

Hi Ryan,
You will need to leave it on for longer than a couple of hours. It needs to be left on for at least 24-36 hours before it is washed off. Also, the trees should be out of the sun while the oil is on there. If you have a warm day, spray in the morning and leave the tree out side for 24 hours, then shower the tree off, let it dry and then you can brign it back in. As mentioned, even whe nyou bring it back in, it should be in a ventilated area. I would not keep it in a room that you ar espending a lot ot time in and are right next to tree for hours.

Rob

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Ryan,
You will need to leave it on for longer than a couple of hours. It needs to be left on for at least 24-36 hours before it is washed off. Also, the trees should be out of the sun while the oil is on there. If you have a warm day, spray in the morning and leave the tree out side for 24 hours, then shower the tree off, let it dry and then you can brign it back in. As mentioned, even whe nyou bring it back in, it should be in a ventilated area. I would not keep it in a room that you ar espending a lot ot time in and are right next to tree for hours.

Rob

Well then what I may do is just take the trees outside and simply hose them off until I can leave them out for a full day without worrying about the cold. Once they can stay out for 24 hours then I'll spray them down. Thanks Chris!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've used it, and I'm saying the reason people may not want to is because it won't kill the eggs. Simple as that.

I am not sure that is true either. Maybe it doesn't, maybe it does. It doesn't kill...it melts the exoskeleton (which leads to their death) and depending on what the egg shell is made of...it may melt that too.

Good luck with your solution "search".

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I am not sure that is true either. Maybe it doesn't, maybe it does. It doesn't kill...it melts the exoskeleton (which leads to their death) and depending on what the egg shell is made of...it may melt that too.

Good luck with your solution "search".

Sorry Dario, but I'm having a hard time believing that a milk solution melts the exoskeleton.

Top Bottom