Premna Japonica - Musk Maple - Air Layer then Chop

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to bonsai yet have recently acquired a large Premna Japonica. It has a very large base
(about 6inches) with three main branches. One that has a really nice taper and definitely the beginning to a fantastic bonsai. The other 2 branches are quite low down on the main trunk and need to be removed. I was hoping to air layer both of these and then trunk chop as close to the main tree as possible. I'd really appreciate advice from all as to when is the best time to carry out the air layers and the trunk chop. Can I do it all in one season? or do I need to give the tree a rest after the air layers? should I wait a year and then do the first trunk chop and then the second chop the year after that? Which season is best for air layering and what time of year is best to chop.

Sorry no pics to show... Will try to upload some later when I get a smartphone that works....

All advice welcome

bonsaiforest

Reaction score
Oh yeah ... A big hello from us down here in Australia.... Have heard many positive comments about your forum over the re in the States. Hoping to receive a warm welcome and have the opportunity to gather as much information about our chosen art that will assist me in refining my style & technique.

If I don't reply it's because I'm sleeping... Pretty big time delay between the U.S. and OZ.

Chat soon

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome man, i don't know much about all that but i welcome u to us. I think you shouldn't chop and airlayer in the same season, and i think best is not to chop in 2 stages just chop it in once (when it's healthy enough).

Top Bottom